Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > book recomendation

book recomendation

lallous

Hello,

This has been asked lots of times...however, can someone suggest a book
that, in addition to talking about C++ in depth, has almost full
coverge/documentation/reference about the STL.

--
Elias

Victor Bazarov

"lallous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> This has been asked lots of times...however, can someone suggest a book
> that, in addition to talking about C++ in depth, has almost full
> coverge/documentation/reference about the STL.

No, there is no single book that has that. You should have at least
two books, one talking about the language proper and the other about
the library. For the latter I recommend "The C++ Standard Library"
by Nicolai Josuttis.

Victor

jeffc

> "lallous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> > This has been asked lots of times...however, can someone suggest a book
> > that, in addition to talking about C++ in depth, has almost full
> > coverge/documentation/reference about the STL.

> No, there is no single book that has that. You should have at least
> two books...

Agreed.

Donovan Rebbechi

In article <bugvan$hob86$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, lallous wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This has been asked lots of times...however, can someone suggest a book
> that, in addition to talking about C++ in depth, has almost full
> coverge/documentation/reference about the STL.

One doesn't learn C++ from "a book", one learns it from a shelf of books
(which you gradually acquire as you learn it)

"The C++ Programming Language" (Stroustrup) is probably the least worst
language reference out there, but its STL coverage ... is not exactly
"almost full".

The Josuttis' book mentioned by Victor is an excellent standard library
reference (and has lots of good examples).

Get both of these and glue them together if you want one book (-;

If you want a *tutorial* book (not a reference) on the C++ language, you
should get some other book (instead of Stroustrup)

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Daqian Yang

C++ Complete Reference (3rd Ed.)

this is a good book. if you want it, email me for that!

> "lallous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> > This has been asked lots of times...however, can someone suggest a book
> > that, in addition to talking about C++ in depth, has almost full
> > coverge/documentation/reference about the STL.

> No, there is no single book that has that. You should have at least
> two books, one talking about the language proper and the other about
> the library. For the latter I recommend "The C++ Standard Library"
> by Nicolai Josuttis.
>
> Victor

Victor Bazarov

"Daqian Yang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> C++ Complete Reference (3rd Ed.)
>
> this is a good book. if you want it, email me for that!

If I run out of kindle wood for my fireplace, I'll contact you.