Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > comparing compilers...

comparing compilers...

Senno

It seems to me, that a lot of ppl here have experience with
different compilers.

Which one do you prefer and why? I guess I know some
'standard' compilers, like Borland, MS, Metrowerks, GCC...
But on what base do you choose the compiler to use,
besides the platform. UI, supported coding standard, ... ?

Not really meant as "which is the best", but just an
more open discussion really.

Regards,
-Senno

Victor Bazarov

"Senno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> It seems to me, that a lot of ppl here have experience with
> different compilers.
>
> Which one do you prefer and why? I guess I know some
> 'standard' compilers, like Borland, MS, Metrowerks, GCC...
> But on what base do you choose the compiler to use,
> besides the platform. UI, supported coding standard, ... ?
>
> Not really meant as "which is the best", but just an
> more open discussion really.

Just to play a devil's advocate, we're not Borg, our minds are
not connected. If many _different_ ppl here have experience
with different compilers, how the hell can we compare them to
actually determine our preference?

In most cases we use what the organisation we are working for
selected to purchase. How _they_ arrived to that conclusion
is another story.

Victor

jbruno4000

>Just to play a devil's advocate, we're not Borg, our minds are
>not connected. If many _different_ ppl here have experience
>with different compilers, how the hell can we compare them to
>actually determine our preference?
>
>In most cases we use what the organisation we are working for
>selected to purchase. How _they_ arrived to that conclusion
>is another story.
>
>Victor

Victor,
You definitely have a way with words!

Senno

hmm, ok... eventhough this might
be the case for a lot, using the stuff the company bought,
I was still hoping, that ppl would be still able to give some views
(their personal likes and dislikes) on different compilers,
they probably have used over the years.

But, 'not Borg'...?... No personal opinions...??
Sounds like Borg to me!

Regards
-Senno

> "Senno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> > It seems to me, that a lot of ppl here have experience with
> > different compilers.
> >
> > Which one do you prefer and why? I guess I know some
> > 'standard' compilers, like Borland, MS, Metrowerks, GCC...
> > But on what base do you choose the compiler to use,
> > besides the platform. UI, supported coding standard, ... ?
> >
> > Not really meant as "which is the best", but just an
> > more open discussion really.

> Just to play a devil's advocate, we're not Borg, our minds are
> not connected. If many _different_ ppl here have experience
> with different compilers, how the hell can we compare them to
> actually determine our preference?
>
> In most cases we use what the organisation we are working for
> selected to purchase. How _they_ arrived to that conclusion
> is another story.
>
> Victor

Senno

hmm, ok... eventhough this might
be the case for a lot, using the stuff the company bought,
I was still hoping, that ppl would be still able to give some views
(their personal likes and dislikes) on different compilers,
they probably have used over the years.

But, 'not Borg'...?... No personal opinions...??
Sounds like Borg to me!

Regards
-Senno

> "Senno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> > It seems to me, that a lot of ppl here have experience with
> > different compilers.
> >
> > Which one do you prefer and why? I guess I know some
> > 'standard' compilers, like Borland, MS, Metrowerks, GCC...
> > But on what base do you choose the compiler to use,
> > besides the platform. UI, supported coding standard, ... ?
> >
> > Not really meant as "which is the best", but just an
> > more open discussion really.

> Just to play a devil's advocate, we're not Borg, our minds are
> not connected. If many _different_ ppl here have experience
> with different compilers, how the hell can we compare them to
> actually determine our preference?
>
> In most cases we use what the organisation we are working for
> selected to purchase. How _they_ arrived to that conclusion
> is another story.
>
> Victor

Jeff Schwab

Senno wrote:
> hmm, ok... eventhough this might
> be the case for a lot, using the stuff the company bought,
> I was still hoping, that ppl would be still able to give some views
> (their personal likes and dislikes) on different compilers,
> they probably have used over the years.
>
> But, 'not Borg'...?... No personal opinions...??
> Sounds like Borg to me!
>
> Regards
> -Senno
>
> "Victor Bazarov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>"Senno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
>>
>>>It seems to me, that a lot of ppl here have experience with
>>>different compilers.
>>>
>>>Which one do you prefer and why? I guess I know some
>>>'standard' compilers, like Borland, MS, Metrowerks, GCC...
>>>But on what base do you choose the compiler to use,
>>>besides the platform. UI, supported coding standard, ... ?
>>>
>>>Not really meant as "which is the best", but just an
>>>more open discussion really.

>>Just to play a devil's advocate, we're not Borg, our minds are
>>not connected. If many _different_ ppl here have experience
>>with different compilers, how the hell can we compare them to
>>actually determine our preference?
>>
>>In most cases we use what the organisation we are working for
>>selected to purchase. How _they_ arrived to that conclusion
>>is another story.
>>
>>Victor

My favorites are the Sun compiler and GCC. I didn't like VC++6, but I
haven't tried 7. I used AIX in college, and whatever compiler was on it
worked fine.