Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > [OT?] C++ Standard - 14882:2003

[OT?] C++ Standard - 14882:2003

P.J. Plauger

"Dietmar Kuehl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

> BTW: there was no standard voted on in 2003. The current C++ standard is
> still the one from 1998. The 2003 document is the 1998 standard augmented
> with the changes from 2003 Technical Corrigendum. However, the resulting
> document is not really binding although implementers are likely to resolve
> conflicts and ambiguities in the 1998 standard to follow the Technical
> Corrigendum.

Uh, Technical Corrigenda are normative. So the changes in the 2003
version *are* binding, on both implementers and programmers alike.

P.J. Plauger
Dinkumware, Ltd.
http://www.dinkumware.com

Ron Natalie

"Dietmar Kuehl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> "John Brown" <_nospam@_nospam.com> wrote:
> > I was also told by another committee member sometime ago (his name
> > escapes me off-hand) that members even have an HTML version but the ISO
> > itself is responsible for its release as a ".pdf" file.

> There is indeed a HTML version used by committee members. However, this
> version is not always 100% accurate and is occasionally missing some stuff
> or has mangled text.

Not that the 1999 PDF was without mangling. There were a few places
where the original draft section names leaked into the final document and
countless places where extraneous hyphens were inserted into words (bad
word breaks).

> Another complication is the production of the HTML in the first place: the
> standard document is still maintained in troff.

There's only one person who understands troff, and he's dead. Most of
us who remember just stick \c into the documents when necessary without
any reasonable understanding

CrayzeeWulf

Ron Natalie wrote:

> "Sumit Rajan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:btc54j$5i9v6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>

>> I had sent them an email yesterday complaining about this. They have now
>> rectified this issue and sent me the version with the bookmarks.
>>

> Yes, they just emailed me one as well.

I got a copy in email too. Wonder if a new buyer will automatically get a
copy with bookmarks or do you have to complain to get it... ?

--
CrayzeeWulf