Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > [OT?] C++ Standard - 14882:2003

[OT?] C++ Standard - 14882:2003

Sumit Rajan

On searching ANSI's webstore (using 14882 as the keyword), I came across two
results: INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003 for $18 and ISO/IEC 14882:2003 for $273.
Their file sizes seem identical. Are they the same in content also? Is the
$18 document - the INCITS one - substantially different from 14882:1998
which was previously available at this website?

Thanks.
Sumit.

Jacques Labuschagne

Sumit Rajan wrote:
> On searching ANSI's webstore (using 14882 as the keyword), I came across two
> results: INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003 for $18 and ISO/IEC 14882:2003 for $273.
> Their file sizes seem identical. Are they the same in content also? Is the
> $18 document - the INCITS one - substantially different from 14882:1998
> which was previously available at this website?
>
> Thanks.
> Sumit.

The electronic copy is $18, the hardcopy is $273. There's nothing wrong
with the cheap version (it's what I have; there's nothing missing).

Jacques.

Sumit Rajan

"Jacques Labuschagne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eOQJb.15697$(E-Mail Removed)...

> The electronic copy is $18, the hardcopy is $273. There's nothing wrong
> with the cheap version (it's what I have; there's nothing missing).
>
> Jacques.

Thanks for responding,

The $273 version also seems to be an electronic version - it says that the
file size is 2.35 MB. Or do they mean that you get an electronic copy along
with you hardcopy?

Regards,
Sumit.

Jacques Labuschagne

Sumit Rajan wrote:
> The $273 version also seems to be an electronic version - it says that the
> file size is 2.35 MB. Or do they mean that you get an electronic copy along
> with you hardcopy?

I assume you get an electronic copy free with the hardcopy. I just
bought the electronic copy and printed it out (on the departmental
printer, naturally).

Jacques.

Sumit Rajan

"Jacques Labuschagne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7kSJb.15720$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I assume you get an electronic copy free with the hardcopy. I just
> bought the electronic copy and printed it out (on the departmental
> printer, naturally).

Clever!

Do you have any idea as to whether there is a significant difference between
14882:1998 and 14882:2003?

Regards,
Sumit.

Andrew Koenig

> Do you have any idea as to whether there is a significant difference
between
> 14882:1998 and 14882:2003?

Yes there is. You can find an unofficial list of the differences (believed
to be complete and accurate) at

http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/author.../revisions.pdf

Ron Natalie

"Sumit Rajan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bt8k9u$41mo5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> On searching ANSI's webstore (using 14882 as the keyword), I came across two
> results: INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003 for $18 and ISO/IEC 14882:2003 for $273.
> Their file sizes seem identical. Are they the same in content also? Is the
> $18 document - the INCITS one - substantially different from 14882:1998
> which was previously available at this website?

Yes, it's some quirk in the way ANSI and ISO interact. They used to have two prices
for the electronic 14882-1999 as well. When the 2003 (TC1 updates) was published
it seems that only the expensive version made the store. Nobody has indicated when
and if an "ANSI" cheap version will become available. Printed copies from J Wiley
in the UK are available at the normal text book prices (~$80).

Ron Natalie

"Ron Natalie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3ff838fb$0$32356$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> "Sumit Rajan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bt8k9u$41mo5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > On searching ANSI's webstore (using 14882 as the keyword), I came across two
> > results: INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003 for $18 and ISO/IEC 14882:2003 for $273.
> > Their file sizes seem identical. Are they the same in content also? Is the
> > $18 document - the INCITS one - substantially different from 14882:1998
> > which was previously available at this website?

> Yes, it's some quirk in the way ANSI and ISO interact. They used to have two prices
> for the electronic 14882-1999 as well. When the 2003 (TC1 updates) was published
> it seems that only the expensive version made the store. Nobody has indicated when
> and if an "ANSI" cheap version will become available. Printed copies from J Wiley
> in the UK are available at the normal text book prices (~$80).

OK, I see, they have put out the 18$ version of the 2003.

By the way, ANSI SCREWS AGAIN! Thie 2003 version is missing the TABLE OF CONTENTS
in the book marks section that both the 1998 C++ and 1999 C standards have (and the section numbers
in the rest of the document are still not links as they were in the drafts).

CrayzeeWulf

Ron Natalie wrote:

> By the way, ANSI SCREWS AGAIN! Thie 2003 version is missing the TABLE OF
> CONTENTS in the book marks section that both the 1998 C++ and 1999 C
> standards have (and the section numbers in the rest of the document are
> still not links as they were in the drafts).

Yeah. That really sucks. The PDF file does not contain bookmarks or links;
this makes it very hard to navigate through the document. Is this really
ANSI's fault ?

--
CrayzeeWulf

Andrew Koenig

> By the way, ANSI SCREWS AGAIN! Thie 2003 version is missing the TABLE OF
CONTENTS
> in the book marks section that both the 1998 C++ and 1999 C standards have

(and the section numbers
> in the rest of the document are still not links as they were in the

drafts).

The version of the standard that I sent to ISO had bookmarks and a table of
contents, so if the official version is missing those, someone else must
have removed them.