Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > What kind of problems is c++ best at solving?

What kind of problems is c++ best at solving?

nb

What kind of problems is c++ best at solving?

Rolf Magnus

nb wrote:

> What kind of problems is c++ best at solving?

Problems in the computer domain.

Jeff Schwab

nb wrote:
> What kind of problems is c++ best at solving?

Complicated ones. The more broadly defined the problem, the more
advantage you get from using C++.

In D&E, Stroustrup says C++ never was intended to be "best" at any
particular task. However, it should be at least second-best at almost
anything. For string manipulation, you might want a particular
scripting language, e.g. Perl. For frequent calculations involving
large arrays of numbers, Fortran may be your first choice. However, if
you have to tackle a problem that involves both string manipulation and
vector mathematics, I don't know of a more appropriate language than C++.

-Jeff

Wouter Lievens

"nb" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What kind of problems is c++ best at solving?

The ones that make you go oooooh

Wouter Lievens

"Jeff Schwab" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> nb wrote:
> > What kind of problems is c++ best at solving?

> Complicated ones. The more broadly defined the problem, the more
> advantage you get from using C++.
>
> In D&E, Stroustrup says C++ never was intended to be "best" at any
> particular task. However, it should be at least second-best at almost
> anything. For string manipulation, you might want a particular
> scripting language, e.g. Perl.

Are you considering expressiveness or performance?
I don't know why C++ would score less in string manipulation performance
than Perl would...

> For frequent calculations involving
> large arrays of numbers, Fortran may be your first choice. However, if
> you have to tackle a problem that involves both string manipulation and
> vector mathematics, I don't know of a more appropriate language than C++.
>
> -Jeff

Microsoft Visual Basic tends to be better!

(I hope it is realised that I am kidding)

Jeff Schwab

Wouter Lievens wrote:
> "Jeff Schwab" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>nb wrote:
>>
>>>What kind of problems is c++ best at solving?

>>Complicated ones. The more broadly defined the problem, the more
>>advantage you get from using C++.
>>
>>In D&E, Stroustrup says C++ never was intended to be "best" at any
>>particular task. However, it should be at least second-best at almost
>>anything. For string manipulation, you might want a particular
>>scripting language, e.g. Perl.

> Are you considering expressiveness or performance?

Expressiveness, assuming performance to be roughly equal.

> I don't know why C++ would score less in string manipulation performance
> than Perl would...

Then you don't really know Perl. Seriously, as the quality of C++
regex libraries improves, they certainly have the potential to become
faster than Perl. For the time being, though, I'm not sure. It would
be difficult to right code optimized for pattern-searching the way Perl is.

>>For frequent calculations involving
>>large arrays of numbers, Fortran may be your first choice. However, if
>>you have to tackle a problem that involves both string manipulation and
>>vector mathematics, I don't know of a more appropriate language than C++.
>>
>>-Jeff

> Microsoft Visual Basic tends to be better!
>

> (I hope it is realised that I am kidding)

You almost gave me a heart-attack. I was about to go on a rant the
likes of which have not been seen in many a year.

-Jeff

Jeff Schwab

Jeff Schwab wrote:

> It would be difficult to right code

*Write* code.

Ray Gardener

I believe Stroustrup said that C++ was more suited
(than C, anyway) for systems programming, or
for programming "in the large".

fwiw, I have certainly found that to be the case
in my own experience transitioning from C to C++.

Ray

news:(E-Mail Removed)...