Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > I'm Looking For A *Good* C++ Reference Book

I'm Looking For A *Good* C++ Reference Book

Raque

Hello. I'm looking for a good C++ reference book. I learned C++ a year
ago. It is very broad and I need something to refer to. Particularly
about syntax (using -> versus ".", etc.), using classes, C++ functions,
etc. Basically, a good overall C++ language reference.

I need a reference book. Not a "begin from scratch" instruction book,
unless there is one that is also a good reference.

Also, does anyone know of any good standard library reference books?

Please provide feedback. Thanks.

Jeff Schwab

Raque wrote:
> Hello. I'm looking for a good C++ reference book. I learned C++ a year
> ago. It is very broad and I need something to refer to. Particularly
> about syntax (using -> versus ".", etc.), using classes, C++ functions,
> etc. Basically, a good overall C++ language reference.
>
> I need a reference book. Not a "begin from scratch" instruction book,
> unless there is one that is also a good reference.
>
> Also, does anyone know of any good standard library reference books?
>
> Please provide feedback. Thanks.

_The_C++_Programming_Language_

The Josuttis book on the standard library is a good reference, too. If
you're looking for an STL intro, try this:

http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~musser/stl-book/cover.jpg

Mark Bruno

The ONLY book you need is Bjarne Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language. However, if you need a reference on the standard libraries as well, Josuttis's The C++ Standard Library is an excellent choice. Since you said you needed mostly syntax though, I'd definitely recommend the Stroustrup. Get the special edition, it's really nice. Hard cover...double book marks...2 extra appendices...good stuff.

John Carson

"Mark Bruno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> The ONLY book you need is Bjarne Stroustrup's The C++ Programming
> Language.

I regularly refer to Stroustrup's text. It has the information that I am
after more often than not, but there are still lots of occasions when I have
to look elsewhere. C++ is too complex for any single textbook to have all of
the answers. Such a book would be too long to be acceptable to publishers.

Stanley Lippman and Josee Lajoie's C++ Primer is another good book (it is
more advanced than the name suggests). No doubt others can supply further
suggestions. I would say you should have at least 4 (and preferably 10)
reference books.

--
John Carson

Derek Baker

"Mark Bruno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>The ONLY book you need is Bjarne Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language.

However, if you >need a reference on the standard libraries as well,
Josuttis's The C++ Standard Library is an excellent >choice. Since you said
you needed mostly syntax though, I'd definitely recommend the Stroustrup.
>Get the special edition, it's really nice. Hard cover...double book

marks...2 extra appendices...good >stuff.

Have both of those, and would also recommend them.

Look here for lots of reviews:

http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm

--
Derek

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

By the process of certain things happening, Raque managed to say...

> I need a reference book. Not a "begin from scratch" instruction book,
> unless there is one that is also a good reference.

The C++ Standard Library - Josuttis
The C++ Programming Language - Stroustrup
C++ Templates - Josuttis
Effective STL - Meyers

These should provide what you need (and I would say, be on everyone's book
shelf)

TTFN

Paul

--
One OS to fool them all
One browser to find them

Andy

Raque <s> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) ws.com>...
> Hello. I'm looking for a good C++ reference book. I learned C++ a year
> ago. It is very broad and I need something to refer to. Particularly
> about syntax (using -> versus ".", etc.), using classes, C++ functions,
> etc. Basically, a good overall C++ language reference.
>
> I need a reference book. Not a "begin from scratch" instruction book,
> unless there is one that is also a good reference.
>
> Also, does anyone know of any good standard library reference books?
>
> Please provide feedback. Thanks.

1) Thinking in C++ (Bruce Eckel) is a good book to work your way
through the intricacies of the language.
2) The C++ Programming Language (Stroustrup) is of course the bible
that you got to have.
3) Effective C++ - Scott Meyers
4) More Effective C++ - Scott Meyers

Dave O'Hearn

Raque <s> wrote:
> Hello. I'm looking for a good C++ reference book. I learned C++ a year
> ago. It is very broad and I need something to refer to. Particularly
> about syntax (using -> versus ".", etc.), using classes, C++ functions,
> etc. Basically, a good overall C++ language reference.
>
> I need a reference book. Not a "begin from scratch" instruction book,
> unless there is one that is also a good reference.
>
> Also, does anyone know of any good standard library reference books?

The only pure C++ reference I know is the O'Reilly C++ "Nutshell"
book. It is impossible to read just for the heck of it; you flip it
open to the part you want, and it tries to give you the answer quickly
so you can put the book down. There are tons of other C++ books that
you could use as a reference, but they are not really references; they
attempt to teach the language in some way or another.

--
Dave O'Hearn

Ron Natalie

"Dave O'Hearn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> The only pure C++ reference I know is the O'Reilly C++ "Nutshell"
> book. It is impossible to read just for the heck of it; you flip it
> open to the part you want, and it tries to give you the answer quickly
> so you can put the book down.

Agreed. While some of it is a bit awkward in some places, it does attempt
to be a sane explanation of the language. I should make the disclosure that
O'Reilly paid me to review that book (primarily to check conformance with
the standard) so I have confidence that it's fairly accurate.

zealott

For quick answers I suggest "Teach Yourself C++ in 10 Minutes." It is very
small, but gets straight to the point and it covers pretty much everything
C++ can do by itself. It won't cost you a whole lot either.
--zealott

news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...