Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > question RE: Word & education

question RE: Word & education

Ron

Hi,

I know a 6th grade public school teacher who would like
to try to use MS Word Spell/Grammer checker as a teaching
tool.

Her idea is that each time the kids "spell check" a
document the mistakes the students make (spelling,
grammer, punctuation, ect.) will be captured in some way
(can anyone tell me how she might do this?).

Her intent is to keep a "portfolio" of each student's
mistakes "log". She will then create individual learning
plans for each student's weaknesses, as shown by the
student's "portfolio".

Is this reasonable, do-able, and has anyone done anything
like this before?

Any suggestions that you have would be most appreciated.

thanks,
Ron
ps. if you cc your reply to my personal email then it
will help.

Liddle Feesh

"Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I know a 6th grade public school teacher who would like
> to try to use MS Word Spell/Grammer checker as a teaching
> tool.
>
> Her idea is that each time the kids "spell check" a
> document the mistakes the students make (spelling,
> grammer, punctuation, ect.) will be captured in some way
> (can anyone tell me how she might do this?).
>
> Her intent is to keep a "portfolio" of each student's
> mistakes "log". She will then create individual learning
> plans for each student's weaknesses, as shown by the
> student's "portfolio".
>
> Is this reasonable, do-able, and has anyone done anything
> like this before?

As far as I am aware, this is not strictly possible with VBA in versions up
till 2000. It could be possible by scripting VBA to output the document to a
text file, and manually parsing this for incorrectly spelt words.

In other words - Yes, there is a way, No, there isn't a built in mechanism
for this that I know of, and it will probably be too expensive to hire third
party services to do this for you.

Would there be a demand for an application that does this? And how much
would you pay for it?

--

Liddle Feesh
*fap fap fap fap*

Thanks for your suggestions.

I was thinking that at a bare minimum the teacher could
instruct her kids to do a screen print and paste it into
a file each time they do a spell check. I know this
method isn't elegant, but it would be a starting point to
get the job done.

Rather than a screen print, is it possible to copy all
the text in the spellcheck window and paste that in to a
document?

There was mention of the VBA. Can anyone tell me a
little more about VBA?

Ron