Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > GNU GMP arbitrary precision limitations + question

GNU GMP arbitrary precision limitations + question

Jack

Quick question, does anyone know what the limitations are, besides
memory for GMP, and also, if I write software that uses this library,
is it true that it may run differently on different hardware classes
of machines ? In other words, the same calculation on 1 machine would
have a different result than another machine would have ..

Thanks !

Jack

Jack Klein

On 9 Dec 2003 21:42:43 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jack) wrote in
comp.lang.c++:

> Quick question, does anyone know what the limitations are, besides
> memory for GMP, and also, if I write software that uses this library,
> is it true that it may run differently on different hardware classes
> of machines ? In other words, the same calculation on 1 machine would
> have a different result than another machine would have ..
>
> Thanks !
>
> Jack

Just as off-topic in comp.lang.c++ as it is in comp.lang.c.

Also, good usenet manners indicates that if you are going to post the
same question to multiple groups that you cross-post it, instead of
making multiple individual posts.

Of source that is after you have exercised good usenet manners by
finding out whether your question is topical or not.

Start by reading news:news.announce.newusers.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Alf P. Steinbach

On 9 Dec 2003 21:42:43 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Jack) wrote:

>Quick question, does anyone know what the limitations are, besides
>memory for GMP,

Google (or your favorite search engine) is your friend.

Top of the list: <url: http://www.swox.com/gmp/>

It mentions the LGPL license as well as bugs on various platforms.

> and also, if I write software that uses this library,
>is it true that it may run differently on different hardware classes
>of machines ? In other words, the same calculation on 1 machine would
>have a different result than another machine would have ..

That could possibly happen for floating-point arithmetic. I don't know.
The easiest way to check that is probably to check that.