Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Your preferred books

Your preferred books

Mike Campo

This question may have been asked many times in the past, but I am
still going to bring it up. What is your favourite book(s) that you
read to learn c++? Or what is your favourite site that you learned
from? I am currently reading Thinking in C++ 2nd edition. I downloaded
it off it's website. I am not very far into it but I have learned some
basic stuff. If anyone has read this book could you give me your
opinions on it, just so that I do not waste me time reading it if it
is not really going to teach me. Thanks alot

Mike

Phlip

Mike Campo wrote:

> This question may have been asked many times in the past, but I am
> still going to bring it up. What is your favourite book(s) that you
> read to learn c++? Or what is your favourite site that you learned
> from? I am currently reading Thinking in C++ 2nd edition. I downloaded
> it off it's website. I am not very far into it but I have learned some
> basic stuff. If anyone has read this book could you give me your
> opinions on it, just so that I do not waste me time reading it if it
> is not really going to teach me. Thanks alot

The first tip is to stick with Addison Wesley. WROX and O'Really are great
for the platform-specific stuff, but the art of computer programming is in
making theories and philosophy actually useful.

The best C++ "sane subset" books are...

- /Effective C++/ by Scott Meyers - overcome newbiehood
- /Accelerated C++/ by Andrew Koenig - pure C++ at work
- /Exceptional C++/ by Herb Sutter - a path thru the minefields
- /Large Scale C++ Software Design/ by John Lakos -
useful tips at
any scale

Above that level, you need to know how to design without causing bugs. The
best three design books are:

- /Test Driven Development/ by Kent Beck
- /Design Patterns/ by the Gang of Four
- /Refactoring/ by Martin Fowler

Together they form a triad - how to program without ever needing to run the
debugger and waste time hunting bugs, what the best most common resulting
designs look like, and how to morph a design without changing behavior.

Above that level, you will need to know how to interact with a team without
tripping over each others' feet:

- /Extreme Programming Explained/ by Kent Beck
- /Lean Software Development/ by the Poppendiecks
- /Agile Modeling/ by Scott Ambler

--
Phlip
http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?TestFirstUserInterfaces

Christoph Rabel

Mike Campo wrote:
> This question may have been asked many times in the past, but I am
> still going to bring it up. What is your favourite book(s) that you
> read to learn c++? Or what is your favourite site that you learned
> from? I am currently reading Thinking in C++ 2nd edition. I downloaded
> it off it's website. I am not very far into it but I have learned some
> basic stuff. If anyone has read this book could you give me your
> opinions on it, just so that I do not waste me time reading it if it
> is not really going to teach me. Thanks alot

The book is ok. It's no waste of time to read it.
For book recommendations look at:

www.accu.org

There you can find a lot of book reviews.

hth

Christoph

What's your preferred way of returning a list of items? DeMarcus C++ 26 05-15-2010 09:16 PM
Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
Finished Courses, Selecting Books for Exam Preparation (List of Books) Mac MCSD 2 12-17-2003 01:48 PM
Your preferred books Mike Campo C++ 1 12-10-2003 09:45 PM

Advertisments