Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > C++: OO methodologies

C++: OO methodologies

Hi,

I have some questions about object-orientated methodologies in the context
of C++:

1) What does object-based mean and object-orientated mean? All i know is
that object orientated builds neatly into object-based.

2) What are the 3-4 most important features of OO programming languages? I
gather they are:
- inheritance
- polymorphism
- ?
- ?

3) How have these features benefit the programmer? I gather:
- reuse
- reliability
- ease of development
- maintenance

but how exactly?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Nils Petter Vaskinn

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:23:05 +1030, A wrote:

> I have some questions about object-orientated methodologies in the context
> of C++:

[snip]
> Any help appreciated.

Methinks the best help you can get is no help, since that will force you
to do your own homework, which may cause you to learn something, which
might make you pass your exams.

--
NPV

"the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away"
Tom Waits - Step right up

Thomas Matthews

A wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some questions about object-orientated methodologies in the context
> of C++:
>
> 1) What does object-based mean and object-orientated mean? All i know is
> that object orientated builds neatly into object-based.

In a book that I read, the author collected the leading OO authorities
in a room and wouldn't let them out until they defined the meaning
of object-oriented. Alas, none could agree on a single definition,
but they could come up with a list common elements of Object Oriented
programming.

Good luck. Try reading through the news:comp.object newsgroup.

> 2) What are the 3-4 most important features of OO programming languages? I
> gather they are:
> - inheritance
> - polymorphism
> - ?
> - ?

I only know 1 OO language, but I know the concepts. The concepts can
be implemented in non-OO languages.

Why does it matter the importance of the features?
One should concentrate on know when to use a feature and when
not to. For example, inheritance should not be used when
containment will suffice.

> 3) How have these features benefit the programmer? I gather:
> - reuse
> - reliability
> - ease of development
> - maintenance
>
> but how exactly?

By asking the Deep Thought computer, one might come up
the correct answer. But a simple meditation and applying
the Brainstorming technique, one can come up with a list
of benefits from the above.

You might also want to investigate how the OO features
negatively impact a program.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

jeffc

"A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have some questions about object-orientated methodologies in the context
> of C++:
>
> 1) What does object-based mean and object-orientated mean? All i know is
> that object orientated builds neatly into object-based.

I'm not sure what that last statement means. Most people say that of the 3
key "ingredients" of Object-Oriented programming, if it just has
objects/classes then it's called Object-Based.
As to the rest of your questions (well, that one too I guess), it sounds
suspiciously like homework, so I won't answer unless you have more specific
questions.