Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Web page for STL container performace requirements?

Web page for STL container performace requirements?

Stephan Br?nnimann

I know there's a lot of literature around ... however I'm usually mobile
and do not want to carry all the books with me. Therefore my question:

Does anybody a web page that provides the performance requirements
for operations on STL containers?

Many thanks in advance, Stephan

Victor Bazarov

"Stephan Br?nnimann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> I know there's a lot of literature around ... however I'm usually mobile
> and do not want to carry all the books with me. Therefore my question:
>
> Does anybody a web page that provides the performance requirements
> for operations on STL containers?

Get the electronic version of the Standard. It contains the requirements
you're talking about.

P.J. Plauger

> "Stephan Br?nnimann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> > I know there's a lot of literature around ... however I'm usually mobile
> > and do not want to carry all the books with me. Therefore my question:
> >
> > Does anybody a web page that provides the performance requirements
> > for operations on STL containers?

> Get the electronic version of the Standard. It contains the requirements
> you're talking about.

You might also memorize this short table:

vector deque list set/map

insert/erase N N constant log N

prepend (N) constant constant (log N)

find(val) (N) (N) (N) log N

X[N] constant constant (N) (N)

pointers 0 1 2 3

NOTES: (N) or (log N) -- time complexity for operations
not directly supported by member functions

It's from an old column I wrote on STL containers (C/C++ Users
Journal, December 1996.

P.J. Plauger
Dinkumware, Ltd.
http://www.dinkumware.com