Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Formatting

Formatting

Dave

Hello all,

What is the recommended tool for beautifying C++ source code? There seem to
be a lot of options out there, but I don't know which is the preferred
tool...

Thanks,
Dave

Thomas Matthews

Dave wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> What is the recommended tool for beautifying C++ source code? There seem to
> be a lot of options out there, but I don't know which is the preferred
> tool...
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

All depends on your style requirements of preferences and
which will accomodate it.

I don't use one because I do the "beautifying" along the way.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Mike Wahler

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> What is the recommended tool for beautifying C++ source code? There seem

> be a lot of options out there, but I don't know which is the preferred
> tool...

"Preferred" is of course a subjective issue. For example,
I prefer to make the code 'beautiful' (i.e. clear, readable,
and consistent) as I write it. As for having a computer (program)
come along and shuffle my source code around, well, I just don't
trust these darn machines much at all...

-Mike

E. Robert Tisdale

Dave wrote:

> What is the recommended tool for beautifying C++ source code?
> There seem to be a lot of options out there,
> but I don't know which is the preferred tool...

I prefer Astyle

http://astyle.sourceforge.net/

because it's free
and because it is easy to modify to suit my tastes.

I don't think that their is any consensus.
You just need to pick the one that you like.

Dave

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> What is the recommended tool for beautifying C++ source code? There seem

> be a lot of options out there, but I don't know which is the preferred
> tool...
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

OK, thanks for the input everyone. I definitely agree with everyone on
keeping the code clean as you go. I am meticulous about my own code. The
problem is that I've just joined a new group with a 22000 SLOC codebase that
is over 10 years old and in *horrible* shape!

Weird formatting problems appearing only in Linux version of FireFox news@celticbear.com Firefox 5 12-30-2004 03:40 PM
Formatting Question Markus Firefox 13 10-23-2004 08:17 PM
Need formatting options menu for formatting hard drive Mark T. Computer Support 3 11-24-2003 11:50 PM
Re: Formatting string in WHERE clause Lee Simpson ASP .Net 0 07-18-2003 04:21 PM
Code formatting rules in editor thaneesh ASP .Net 0 07-02-2003 09:04 AM

Advertisments