Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Runtime linking

Runtime linking

Ben

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to C++ and have a quick question concerning a
better way to perform runtime linking. Currently a client wishes to
create a class in a .dll. I export 2 methods from my dll to assist in
this called create(IBase**) and delete(IBase**). The IBase interface
exists in both client and .dll, but in the .dll there is also an
implementation of the IBase interface called CExtendsBase. The problem
is now I want to add more and more classes to my .dll, and I see that
I'm going to have to export a create() and delete() function for each
interface. Is there a more elegant way of doing this? Bear in mind
that I'm currently compiling the code in MSVC++ but intend to have it
be portable to Linux at some point in the future.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Ben.

Jack Klein

On 7 Nov 2003 03:46:05 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ben) wrote in
comp.lang.c++:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm relatively new to C++ and have a quick question concerning a
> better way to perform runtime linking. Currently a client wishes to
> create a class in a .dll. I export 2 methods from my dll to assist in
> this called create(IBase**) and delete(IBase**). The IBase interface
> exists in both client and .dll, but in the .dll there is also an
> implementation of the IBase interface called CExtendsBase. The problem
> is now I want to add more and more classes to my .dll, and I see that
> I'm going to have to export a create() and delete() function for each
> interface. Is there a more elegant way of doing this? Bear in mind
> that I'm currently compiling the code in MSVC++ but intend to have it
> be portable to Linux at some point in the future.
>
> Any ideas would be much appreciated.
>
> Ben.

You need to ask about this in a Windows programming group, it is not a
C++ language issue. C++ does not define or support runtime linking or
dynamic libraries, this is all OS and compiler specific.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com