Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > need to catch up

need to catch up

Allen

Hi all,

I learned my C++ several years ago (I still use VC++ 4.0). This was
pre-standardization and standard template library.

1.) What _topics_ do I need to study in order to update my knowledge to
current levels?

2.) What books can some recommend that would cover this from my point of
view (already know C++, just trying to catch up)?
--

Best wishes,
Allen

Ivan Vecerina

"Allen" <allen-terri-ng!@#att.net> wrote in message
news:Itlqb.207135$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I learned my C++ several years ago (I still use VC++ 4.0). This was
> pre-standardization and standard template library.
>
> 1.) What _topics_ do I need to study in order to update my knowledge to
> current levels?

The standard library itself.
Proper use of exceptions.
And probably several C++ idioms that go beyound object-oriented programming.

> 2.) What books can some recommend that would cover this from my point of
> view (already know C++, just trying to catch up)?

Here's my personal recommendation:

For the library:
Josuttis' "The C++ standard Library, A tutorial and reference"
and/or Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language"

Herb Sutter's "(More) Exceptional C++" are a good way to learn
about several intricacies of the language. You may also want to
check the online challenges from which the book was derived:
http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/index.htm

Also Make sure to go over Scott Meyer's three "(More) Effective C++/STL"
books, and study any item which does not seem obvious.

For thrills, check Alexandrescu's "Modern C++ Design".
Also: "Generative Programming" (Czarnecki)
"Multi-Paradigm Design for C++" (Coplien)

[ I skipped over Design Patterns books, as this is not C++ specific.
"Accelerated C++" (Koenig&Moo) would also be a good starting point,
but is more beginner-oriented. You could start with it though. ]

See also http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm

hth - Ivan
--
http://ivan.vecerina.com

Jon Bell

In article <Itlqb.207135$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Allen <allen-terri-ng!@#att.net> wrote:

> I learned my C++ several years ago (I still use VC++ 4.0). This was
>pre-standardization and standard template library.
>
>1.) What _topics_ do I need to study in order to update my knowledge to
>current levels?

Number one IMHO is the new stuff in the standard library that came from
the STL: containers (vectors, strings, lists, etc.) and algorithms.

>2.) What books can some recommend that would cover this from my point of
>view (already know C++, just trying to catch up)?

As an introduction, get Koenig and Moo's "Accelerated C++". Although it's
ostensibly intended for newcomers to C++, it's different from every other
introductory C++ book I've seen in that it uses the "new" standard library
features from the beginning, in ways that show how powerful they are.

After that's given you an idea of what the standard library stuff is all
about, move on to the standard references, namely the 3rd or "special"
edition of Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" and Josuttis's "The
C++ Standard Library."

If you're acquainted with earlier editions of Stroustrup, you'll be
pleasantly surprised by the new one. The third edition is much bigger
than the second edition, and more accessible, IMHO.

--
Jon Bell <(E-Mail Removed)> Presbyterian College

jeffc

"Jon Bell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bocqot$o3a$(E-Mail Removed)...

> As an introduction, get Koenig and Moo's "Accelerated C++". Although it's
> ostensibly intended for newcomers to C++...

I think it's also good for experienced C++ programmers using C++ in an
(ahem) "old fashioned" way.