Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Control the appearance of a launched application

Control the appearance of a launched application

Lafoopsie

Hi!

In my C++ program, I can launch an external program, for example:

#include <cstdlib>

int main()
{
std::system("appletviewer");
}

But is there a way to control the appearance of that application? For
example, I could say: open this application, let it appear on 300 pixels
from the left of the screen, 200 pixels from the top of the screen, and
don't show any borders.

Is this possible? Maybe with some X functions?

Your help would be great!

Greetz,
Klaas

Josh Sebastian

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:52:21 +0200, Lafoopsie wrote:

> Hi!
>
> In my C++ program, I can launch an external program, for example:
>
> #include <cstdlib>
>
> int main()
> {
> std::system("appletviewer");
> }
>
> But is there a way to control the appearance of that application? For
> example, I could say: open this application, let it appear on 300 pixels
> from the left of the screen, 200 pixels from the top of the screen, and
> don't show any borders.
>
> Is this possible? Maybe with some X functions?

Maybe. Try asking in a group concerned with your system. Don't most X apps
take a -geometry command-line parameter?

Josh

Moonlit

Hi,

Usually you can give X-Parameters on the command line and/or a
configuration file. X-Application are supposed to first forward these
commands to some function that does the processing of them (or of course
handle it themselves).

Do

man -k Xserver

and/or lookup the documentation for appletviewer on the www.javasoft.com