Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > How much $ should I make with the A+ Cert.

How much $ should I make with the A+ Cert.

ADAM

I know this is a little off topic but I have just got my
A+ Certification, and I am wondering how much I should
expect to get paid. I have a couple of interviews coming
up and I just want to get a ball park idea before I go
in. I have 2 years IT experience and I'm working toward
my Bachelors in Computer Science.

Any Comments are appreciated.

Brian

I just passed my A+ as well, but I just started a new job
with a pretty big company that values experience more than
certs, so I've yet to receive anything but a pat on the
back. I don't know where you live at which can have a
different market than here in Seattle which still sucks. I
only make $15/hr btw, but I was making $12 doing the same
thing at my last job with no experience. I'd be interested
to know where you're looking for work at and how the
market is there. Good luck on your interview!

-Brian

ADAM

I have an interview in Orange county area of southern
California. At my old job with no experience I was making
$12. I hope to at least make $15 per hour now that I have
this cert.

bunni_slipperz

ADAM wrote:
> *I know this is a little off topic but I have just got my
> A+ Certification, and I am wondering how much I should
> expect to get paid. I have a couple of interviews coming
> up and I just want to get a ball park idea before I go
> in. I have 2 years IT experience and I'm working toward
> my Bachelors in Computer Science.
>
> Any Comments are appreciated. *

Adam... I don't know how old this post is, but for anyone readin
it...I would say $15 - 17/hr is a good starting point depending on wha
kind of experience you have. If you have more networking experienc
you can get more. I was in the same boat a few years ago.

Really highlight the details of the 2 years IT experience and th
college. I would include some of the areas you've taken classes in o
your resume.

Good Luck

-
bunni_slipper

Mike E.

FYI: I live in the St. Louis Area and here it is almost
impossible to get a job with no cert & little or no
experience. What companies hire people like us? Typically
when I apply for an IT job, if I get an interview at all,
I am told that over 100 people are applying for the same
job. BTW, I have AAS in Data Processing, 4.0 GPA, one and
a half years on the job experience, but no MS
certification. I scored 562 on the MCSD exam after
studying Transcender. Very hard exam. Would A+ exam be
easier to pass?

Earl

A+ is for hardware techs; MCSD is the top-level certification for advanced
solution developers (and requires you to pass 4 tests, not 1). Totally
different skillsets and degree of difficulty. However, if you have no
hardware background or interest at all, why would you even want to get the
A+ cert?

"Mike E." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ae8b01c436b0$01db4db0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> FYI: I live in the St. Louis Area and here it is almost
> impossible to get a job with no cert & little or no
> experience. What companies hire people like us? Typically
> when I apply for an IT job, if I get an interview at all,
> I am told that over 100 people are applying for the same
> job. BTW, I have AAS in Data Processing, 4.0 GPA, one and
> a half years on the job experience, but no MS
> certification. I scored 562 on the MCSD exam after
> studying Transcender. Very hard exam. Would A+ exam be
> easier to pass?

Jeff Cochran

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:34:08 -0700, "ADAM"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I know this is a little off topic but I have just got my
>A+ Certification, and I am wondering how much I should
>expect to get paid. I have a couple of interviews coming
>up and I just want to get a ball park idea before I go
>in. I have 2 years IT experience and I'm working toward
>my Bachelors in Computer Science.

Our entry level is $26,500 a year, and would be about an A+ and a
year's experience. $13 an hour or so. Other local employers are
similar, up to about $32,000 a year, $15-16 an hour. But your cert
isn't what will get you hired, it's your experience.

Jeff

Mike E.

I do have a background and interest in hardware. A former
employer was pushing me in the MCSD direction. He seemed
to think I had the potential to teach myself Visual Basic,
study Transcender and a few MS Press books and then pass
the tests!