Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Mini project suggestions

Mini project suggestions

Martijn Lievaart

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 19:06:39 +0000, Mike Wahler wrote:

> "Michael Strorm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
>> > Which reminds me: A very good book to have is
>> > Josuttis' "The C++ Standard Library" www.josuttis.com/libbook

>> Anything comparable online, in the same way that Sun have the Java
>> documentation online?

> There are several places online which document the standard library,
> e.g. www.dinkumware.com , but they only *document it*, the
> Josuttis book *explains* how it works and gives advice how
> to use it effectively. Another similar book which is more
> oriented toward application of the library rather than
> dissecting it, is Austern's "Generic Programming and the
> "STL".

I would add "Effective STL" by Meyers as an add-on. Indispensible to
learn the STL imho.

M4

Gene Wirchenko

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 08:48:39 GMT, "Nils Petter Vaskinn"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

>> 2) It will not work if the cursor is positioned other than on the
>> bottom line.

>Unless you have used some implementation specific way to move the cursor
>around it will.

But since we are discussing something implementation-specific,
that is rather likely, no?

>It's not a pretty solution, but the whole point is to have something that
>does the job, and then you can replace it with a pretty but
>platform/library dependent solution later.

If you want to be sure of clearing the screen, print two times as
many lines. Well, sure on a system where the newlines cause
scrolling. I have seen terminals that did not (Tektronix
(?spelling)).

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko