Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Position text cursor

Position text cursor

Joseph Suprenant

Hello all,
I have a simple problem but can't find the answer. I want to move
the text cursor in a xterm window. I actually just want to keep
writing over the same spot over and over again with out clearing the
screen. So i look up stuff on the internet and i see mvcur() and move
that are included in curses.h and ncurses.h I include the files, when
I go to compile i get errors of undefined identifiers mvcurs or move.
So can someone please help me out? I am developing on Redhat 7.3
using kdevelop.
thanks for your time.

Attila Feher

Joseph Suprenant wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a simple problem but can't find the answer. I want to move
> the text cursor in a xterm window.

Sorry, but this is not a C++ language question. Please read this for
pointers:

http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

--
Attila aka WW

Howard

"Joseph Suprenant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello all,
> I have a simple problem but can't find the answer. I want to move
> the text cursor in a xterm window. I actually just want to keep
> writing over the same spot over and over again with out clearing the
> screen. So i look up stuff on the internet and i see mvcur() and move
> that are included in curses.h and ncurses.h I include the files, when
> I go to compile i get errors of undefined identifiers mvcurs or move.
> So can someone please help me out? I am developing on Redhat 7.3
> using kdevelop.
> thanks for your time.

You're getting compile, or link errors? If compile errors, then look for
#ifdef's in the appropriate header(s). You may be compiling using project
settings or #define's that are not appropriate for a "console" app like
those functions would require. If link errors, then you need to link
against the appropriate library, not just include the header(s). Look for
an example program using those functions. A Google search might help. Or
ask in a newsgroup that knows more about the operating system and compiler
you're using, instead of this language-specific group.
-Howard

Stewart Gordon

While it was 17/9/03 3:05 pm throughout the UK, Joseph Suprenant
sprinkled little black dots on a white screen, and they fell thus:

> Hello all,
> I have a simple problem but can't find the answer. I want to move
> the text cursor in a xterm window. I actually just want to keep
> writing over the same spot over and over again with out clearing the
> screen. So i look up stuff on the internet and i see mvcur() and move
> that are included in curses.h and ncurses.h

<snip>

These are not part of standard C++. Try taking this question to a
'group pertaining to programming your OS.

Stewart.

on the 'group where everyone may benefit.