Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > In an outsourced nation....

In an outsourced nation....

Jorge L.

....Gee, and I was thinking to change careers. I am
actually employed by a very small construction firm as
its project manager, and I am just 3 classes away to get
my AS Degree in CIS and planning to get my 1st MS
Certificate this year. What are my chances then? I have
never worked in the IT industry. All I know is about
construction [more that 4 years of experience] but I am
kind of tired of it. That is why I decided to go to
school to get my degree. I know is not a BS degree but I
think that with an AS Degree in CIS and a couple of
certifications I can get me an IT job. It seems that this
is not going to be the case. Any suggestions? Have I
wasted my time? Please advise.

Best regards,

Jorge L.
Queens, NYC
KLGA

-------------
Best regards,

DalePres

Jorge,

I think that if you're sharp, hard working, and can sell yourself, you have
great opportunities ahead of you in IT. What you might want to do is to
focus your job search in IT with construction related industries. That way
your knowledge of the business needs, combined with great IT skills, even if
newly acquired, will be just what they need.

You might consider getting an IT project management certification such as
the CompTIA IT Project + certification at
http://www.comptia.org/certification...ct/default.asp to go along with
your Microsoft certifications.

While the market is flooded numerically, there's always room for top
performers, whether newly certified or with years of experience.

Good luck to you!

Dale

"Jorge L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1b1ce01c4200d$fe8ec690$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ...Gee, and I was thinking to change careers. I am
> actually employed by a very small construction firm as
> its project manager, and I am just 3 classes away to get
> my AS Degree in CIS and planning to get my 1st MS
> Certificate this year. What are my chances then? I have
> never worked in the IT industry. All I know is about
> construction [more that 4 years of experience] but I am
> kind of tired of it. That is why I decided to go to
> school to get my degree. I know is not a BS degree but I
> think that with an AS Degree in CIS and a couple of
> certifications I can get me an IT job. It seems that this
> is not going to be the case. Any suggestions? Have I
> wasted my time? Please advise.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jorge L.
> Queens, NYC
> KLGA
>

> -------------
> Best regards,

Dale,

Thank you very much for your quick and valuable reply. I
had no idea that such certification existed. Though I am
pretty sure the option you've suggested is the best for
me, I am going to continue searching for others.
Currently I am learning [self-study] the latest version
of MSProject and I am planning to implement it in my
incoming projects this season. Again, thank you very
much, you gave a new light and I appreciate it.

Jorge L.
Queen, NYC
KLGA