Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > The C++ Programming-Language, 3rd Ed. - complete book !

The C++ Programming-Language, 3rd Ed. - complete book !

Harry Meier

Just found it on the web by searching for significant parts of
the book-text with google; use the following as a filelist for
wget (wget -i filelistname):

http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/title.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/npref.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/opref.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/pref.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/toc.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch1.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch2.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch3.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch4.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch5.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch6.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch7.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch8.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch9.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch10.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch11.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch12.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch13.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch14.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch15.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch16.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch17.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch18.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch19.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch20.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch21.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch22.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch23.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch24.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/ch25.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/appA.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/appB.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/appC.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/index.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/part0.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/part1.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/part2.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/part3.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/part4.pdf
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/partA.pdf

Agent Scully

> The page cannot be found
> The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed,
> or is temporarily unavailable.

Hmmm, seems that not all files are at their place,
but the book seems pretty complete when you look under:
http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/

Agent Mulder

<Harry Meier>
Just found it on the web by searching for significant parts of
the book-text with google; use the following as a filelist for
wget (wget -i filelistname):
</Harry Meier>

http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/toc.pdf

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed,
or is temporarily unavailable.

----

Please try the following:

Sorry Harry

Agent Mulder

Try

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/C++/

-X

E. Robert Tisdale

Agent Mulder wrote:

> <Harry Meier>
> Just found it on the web by searching for significant parts of
> the book-text with google; use the following as a filelist for
> wget (wget -i filelistname):
> </Harry Meier>
>

> http://whale.ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/vacpp/toc.pdf
>
> The page cannot be found
> The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed,
> or is temporarily unavailable.

> ----
>
> Please try the following:
>
> Sorry Harry

This is the only section, so far, that I have been unable to download.
The other chapters prompt you to buy the book.
A copyright notice appears prominently on each one.

My guess is that this is a bootleg copy
and that distribution could get you into serious trouble
with BS and his publishers.

d2003xx

Bjarne Stroustrup

Please note that there are no freely downloadable copies of "The C++
Programming Language". Any copy you might find is a copyright
violation. If you have a copy accessible on your site, please remove
it.

Note further that the copies that you might find (naively, but often
innocently offered) on the web are very early versions of the book
lacking the corrections and clarifications found in post-1998
printings. If you want to read TC++PL, do yourself a favor and use an
up-to-date copy.

For more information on C++ and TC++PL, see my home pages

- Bjarne Stroustrup; http://www.research.att.com/~bs

Adam Fineman

Bjarne Stroustrup wrote:
> Please note that there are no freely downloadable copies of "The C++
> Programming Language". Any copy you might find is a copyright
> violation. If you have a copy accessible on your site, please remove
> it.
> <snip>

One would think that people who write software for a living would have a
little more regard for intellectual property.

Noah Roberts

Bjarne Stroustrup wrote:
> Please note that there are no freely downloadable copies of "The C++
> Programming Language". Any copy you might find is a copyright
> violation. If you have a copy accessible on your site, please remove
> it.
>
> Note further that the copies that you might find (naively, but often
> innocently offered) on the web are very early versions of the book
> lacking the corrections and clarifications found in post-1998
> printings. If you want to read TC++PL, do yourself a favor and use an
> up-to-date copy.
>
> For more information on C++ and TC++PL, see my home pages
>
> - Bjarne Stroustrup; http://www.research.att.com/~bs

Or you can download Bruce Eckel's book Thinking in C++ from
http://mindview.net/Books

NR

Shane Beasley

Adam Fineman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bSJ5b.25$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> One would think that people who write software for a living would have a
> little more regard for intellectual property.

<advocate type="devil's">
Nobody said that all programmers do it for a living, or that those who
do it for a living make their money from software sales. Much (most?)
commercially-produced software is actually for internal use, not for
sale. (I supposed copyright matters there, but not nearly as much as
when a fair percentage of copies translates into lost sales.)

And then there's all the people who write Free and open-source
software, none of whom cash in on copyright (except maybe when
dual-licensing to other entities who also intend to cash in on their
copyright). In fact, many Free Software authors believe that the world
would be better off without copyright. And many of them are making
money off this software, one way or another. Additionally, many Free
and open-source packages started out as software developed by a
business for internal use -- in fact, I believe that's how C and C++
began.

And that's not even going into software patents, which is (or should
be) the cause du jour of software developers in Europe right now.
</advocate>

That said, Dr. Stroustrup's a great guy, and his book is the canonical
tome on the subject (canonicaltomes.org says so[1]), so buy a copy or
three. I did (and got it signed, even -- try *that* with a downloaded
PDF).

- Shane

---
1. http://canonicaltomes.org/topic.cgi?topic_id=22