Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Documenting the code itself

Documenting the code itself

franky.backeljauw@ua.ac.be

Hello,

are there any (free) tools that can document not only the header and
functions, but also the code within the functions? I am currently using
doxygen, but I would like to be able to document the code within the
functions, so that if I convert it to e.g. LaTeX, I get a print with
source code intermixed with the actual algorithms and formulas used.

Thanks for any reply.

Regards,

Franky Backeljauw.

Peter van Merkerk

> are there any (free) tools that can document not only the header and
> functions, but also the code within the functions? I am currently

using
> doxygen, but I would like to be able to document the code within the
> functions, so that if I convert it to e.g. LaTeX, I get a print with
> source code intermixed with the actual algorithms and formulas used.

Doxygen can also be configured to include the source code in the
documentation.

--
Peter van Merkerk
peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

Attila Feher

Peter van Merkerk wrote:
>> are there any (free) tools that can document not only the header and
>> functions, but also the code within the functions? I am currently
>> using doxygen, but I would like to be able to document the code
>> within the functions, so that if I convert it to e.g. LaTeX, I get a
>> print with source code intermixed with the actual algorithms and
>> formulas used.

> Doxygen can also be configured to include the source code in the
> documentation.

Sure it can. But DoxyGen documents the interfaces while the OP wants to
document the source code such as algorithms etc.

--
Attila aka WW

Cedric LEMAIRE

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) ca.ua.ac.be>...
> are there any (free) tools that can document not only the header and
> functions, but also the code within the functions?
> I am currently using doxygen, but I would like to be able to document the
> code within the functions, so that if I convert it to e.g. LaTeX, I get a
> print with source code intermixed with the actual algorithms and formulas
> used.

If you just want to print the C++ source file, intersperced with LaTex
explanations in your LaTeX document, I can provide you a free solution.
Write your "LaTeX" documentation in remarkable C++ comments, something like
/*{ ... LaTeX stuffs ... }*/
and, if you are interested, I'll send you (or post it here, it isn't so long)
a translation script written in CodeWorker (a LGPL scripting language for
applying generative programming in the development process, available
at "http://www.codeworker.org") that will translate your C++ source file to
LaTeX.
Better than that, in fact: you will have the capability to write something
like:
%##markup##"import_C++_file:myC++file1.cpp"
in your main LaTex document, and so, you will be able to integrate as many
explained C++ files as you wish.

Tell me if you are interested or if you want to test the result.

franky.backeljauw@ua.ac.be

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Cedric LEMAIRE wrote:

> If you just want to print the C++ source file, intersperced with LaTex
> explanations in your LaTeX document, I can provide you a free solution.
> Write your "LaTeX" documentation in remarkable C++ comments, something like
> /*{ ... LaTeX stuffs ... }*/
> and, if you are interested, I'll send you (or post it here, it isn't so long)
> a translation script written in CodeWorker (a LGPL scripting language for
> applying generative programming in the development process, available
> at "http://www.codeworker.org") that will translate your C++ source file to
> LaTeX.
> [..]
> Tell me if you are interested or if you want to test the result.

Yes, I am interested indeed ... Could you sent me the script, and if
possible an example file, so I can see it immediately? I would appreciate
it very much.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Franky Backeljauw

Cedric LEMAIRE

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) ca.ua.ac.be>...
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Cedric LEMAIRE wrote:
>
> > If you just want to print the C++ source file, intersperced with LaTex
> > explanations in your LaTeX document, I can provide you a free solution.
> > Write your "LaTeX" documentation in remarkable C++ comments, something like
> > /*{ ... LaTeX stuffs ... }*/
> > and, if you are interested, I'll send you (or post it here, it isn't so long)
> > a translation script written in CodeWorker (a LGPL scripting language for
> > applying generative programming in the development process, available
> > at "http://www.codeworker.org") that will translate your C++ source file to
> > LaTeX.
> > [..]
> > Tell me if you are interested or if you want to test the result.

> Yes, I am interested indeed ... Could you sent me the script, and if
> possible an example file, so I can see it immediately? I would appreciate
> it very much.

I'll send the script and an example to your personal email.