Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > [OT] Re: problem : yacc v.s c++

[OT] Re: problem : yacc v.s c++

John Harrison

"Lung Sheng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bik31j$751$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,All :
> i try to write a parser and use tool "lex" for scanner and "yacc" for
> parser,
> because i use vector of STL to deal information extracted from parser,
> g++ is preferable.
> error message in compilation is
> Undefined first referenced
> symbol in file
> yyerror(char const *) /var/tmp/ccMxgftp.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> with compiler gcc 2.95.2
>

> it seems that linker cannot find the symbol
> but yyerror is used only in y.tab.c
> I don't know what this error message means
>
> Is any way to fix this problem ?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Lung Sheng
>
> ps : The most interesting is when i use another mechine with compiler
> 2.91.66
> the program can pass the compilation

yyerror is defined in the yacc library, but it is usually defined as 'void
yyerror(char*)', notice there is no const.

I've seen this before, some versions of yacc aren't very C++ compatible. I
think the simplest thing would be to define your own version of yyerror, the
other solution is to edit the parser template file that you are using.

BTW this is off topic in comp.lang.c++, which only deals with C++ questions,
not third party libraries. Email me directly if you have any further
problems, I'll be glad to help if I can.

john