Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: Schildt's Advanced Windows 95 Programming in C and C++

Re: Schildt's Advanced Windows 95 Programming in C and C++

Thomas Matthews

Agent Mulder wrote:
> Hi group,
> I am looking for the examples of the book
> Schildt; Advanced Windows 95 Programming in C and C++, 1996
>
> It's on topic (note the ++)
>
> -X

Actually, Schildt is not on topic.
Check out the reviews of his book:
http://www.google.com/groups?as_q=Schildt&safe=images
&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_ugroup=comp.lang.c%2C%20
comp.lang.c%2b%2b%2C%20comp.lang.c%2b%2b.moderated
&lr=&num=50&hl=en
{the above 4 lines should be one continuous line)

You probably were mistaking him for:
Programming Windows 95 by Charles Petzold
The C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup
Effective C++ by Scott Meyers
More Effective C++ by Scott Meyers

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Greg P.

"Agent Mulder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:big5am$n6u$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
| Wow, does Schildt get negative reviews! Actually in the book

You would be surprised of how many C++ children he has taught wrong. The
reason why he gets such bad reviews is due to the fact that he makes
everything look so easy (without explaining the dangers of doing things, or
why things are done). As the saying goes "You can't teach an old dog new
tricks", once someone has learned C or C++ by his books, they have usually
been permanently branded by his bad habits. It takes about twice as long as
it took you to learn the language to unlearn his text and relearn from a
better, more approved author.

The same thing happened to me with x86 assembly: I learned from an expensive
book which I thought to be a good first step (I do not want to mention the
name in fear of people actually liking this book). It tainted my skills in
asm and I had to relearn via better methods.

| I have there is not much ++ in the C, but he is the only one so
| far that shows how to implement dynamic menus in Windows
| with varying numbers of items. I'll wrap up the stuff in classes
| myself.

Well there really isn't that much "++" in win32 programming regardless. The
win32 native SDK is written in C. The only time when C++ becomes involved is
if you mix it with your code or use MFC (or other related class-based
wrappers).

| You know that it is very cool to inherit from Windows
| structs like WNDCLASSEX, MENUITEMINFO etc,
| fill the members in an initializer list and then you can kick
| around your Window programs with the greatest ease
| (not in Schildt's book).

Yes win32 programming is fun once you fully comprehend it. Though, windows
programming is off topic here as this is the standard C++ newsgroup (which
has nothing to do with Win32, Linux, UNIX, OS/2, Commodore (=P), Atari,
Gameboy, or my faithful PDA...unless of course you are singularly
programming witht the standard library for them.

| I googled for the examples but didn't find them. In the
| preface of the book he offers to send me a floppy with
| the examples for 24.95 dollar. Wonder how much that is
| in euro's

Are you referring to Schildt or Petzold? Any chivalrous author will supply
you with the code (errata, etc) for free at a website or on CD-ROM. That
doesn't say much for the author for your book =(

Good luck in win32 land...but please post these topics to:
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

Attila Feher

Greg P. wrote:
> "Agent Mulder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:big5am$n6u$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
>> Wow, does Schildt get negative reviews! Actually in the book

> You would be surprised of how many C++ children he has taught wrong.
> The reason why he gets such bad reviews is due to the fact that he
> makes everything look so easy (without explaining the dangers of
> doing things, or why things are done). As the saying goes "You can't
> teach an old dog new tricks", once someone has learned C or C++ by
> his books, they have usually been permanently branded by his bad
> habits. It takes about twice as long as it took you to learn the
> language to unlearn his text and relearn from a better, more approved
> author.

[SNIP]

I can double that. It took over 2 years(!) to get people to omit at least
the most dangerous mistakes they have learnt from the (bull)Schildt C++ book
the (in)complete C++ manual.

--
Attila aka WW

Bob Jacobs

"Attila Feher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bihhtr$8qb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greg P. wrote:
> > "Agent Mulder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:big5am$n6u$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
> >> Wow, does Schildt get negative reviews! Actually in the book

> > You would be surprised of how many C++ children he has taught wrong.
> > The reason why he gets such bad reviews is due to the fact that he
> > makes everything look so easy (without explaining the dangers of
> > doing things, or why things are done). As the saying goes "You can't
> > teach an old dog new tricks", once someone has learned C or C++ by
> > his books, they have usually been permanently branded by his bad
> > habits. It takes about twice as long as it took you to learn the
> > language to unlearn his text and relearn from a better, more approved
> > author.

> [SNIP]
>
> I can double that. It took over 2 years(!) to get people to omit at least
> the most dangerous mistakes they have learnt from the (bull)Schildt C++
> book the (in)complete C++ manual.

Which mistakes were those? And how come it took you so long?

Agent Mulder

AM> does Schildt get negative reviews!

<Greg P>
You would be surprised of how many C++ children he has taught wrong. The
reason why he gets such bad reviews is due to the fact that he makes
everything look so easy (without explaining the dangers of doing things, or
why things are done). As the saying goes "You can't teach an old dog new
tricks", once someone has learned C or C++ by his books, they have usually
been permanently branded by his bad habits. It takes about twice as long as
it took you to learn the language to unlearn his text and relearn from a
better, more approved author.
<Greg P>

For programmers with a one-charge BIOS in
their heads, reading the wrong text is fatal, but
I always look for the better way, so an example
of something done wrong is equally valuable.

This book is good, though. He is elaborate on
Windows internals and takes of where Petzold
left. If you like the style of coding in Petzold's
"Programming Windows 95", (1996), than you'll
like his style, too.

OK, the only use of C++ in the book is on the
cover. Then he insists that I rip out a page of
the book and send it to Illinois, with 29.95 dollar
enclosed. And he makes me read

"When you need solid answers, fast, turn to
HERBERT SCHILDT, the recognized
authority on programming."

-X