Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: good tutorial

Re: good tutorial

John Harrison

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bi9nqt$9eg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> new to C++. seraching for a good tutorial for C++/MFC/Windows/.NET ?

Only C++ is on topic in this group. There are other groups for all the other
topics.

Its not a tutorial, but an online book, Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel at
http://www.mindview.net.

john

der

John Harrison wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bi9nqt$9eg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> new to C++. seraching for a good tutorial for C++/MFC/Windows/.NET ?
>>

> Only C++ is on topic in this group. There are other groups for all the
> other topics.
>
> Its not a tutorial, but an online book, Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel at
> http://www.mindview.net.

Beaware, he confuses between order of evalutation and precedence.
(C++ Primer is also mistken, unfortunately).
If you are going to read it, make sure you understand why order of
evaluation & precedence are not the same thing.
Read Steve Summit's posts on this:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/readings/index2.html - Read "On precedence vs.
order of evaluation: " (While you are at it, read the rest of the posts he
made,too).

Der

ark

"der" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f48a3e7@news.012.net.il...
> John Harrison wrote:
>

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bi9nqt$9eg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> new to C++. seraching for a good tutorial for C++/MFC/Windows/.NET ?
> >>

> > Only C++ is on topic in this group. There are other groups for all the
> > other topics.
> >
> > Its not a tutorial, but an online book, Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel

at
> > http://www.mindview.net.

> Beaware, he confuses between order of evalutation and precedence.
> (C++ Primer is also mistken, unfortunately).
> If you are going to read it, make sure you understand why order of
> evaluation & precedence are not the same thing.
> Read Steve Summit's posts on this:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/readings/index2.html - Read "On precedence vs.
> order of evaluation: " (While you are at it, read the rest of the posts he
> made,too).
>
> Der

Sorry for my ignorance but it feels like distinction without difference.
Following Steve Summit, consider *p++, equivalent to *(p++). Expression p++
_is_ evaluated first, and its _value_, as we know, is _old_ p. (Its side
effect is incrementing p.) So *p++ dereferences _old_ p. So what? It looks
like the distinction only muddies waters not clean otherwise either.
Am I wrong anywhere here?
Regards,
Ark

der

ark wrote:

> "der" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f48a3e7@news.012.net.il...
>> John Harrison wrote:
>>

>> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:bi9nqt$9eg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >>

>> > Only C++ is on topic in this group. There are other groups for all the
>> > other topics.
>> >
>> > Its not a tutorial, but an online book, Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel

> at
>> > http://www.mindview.net.

>> Beaware, he confuses between order of evalutation and precedence.
>> (C++ Primer is also mistken, unfortunately).
>> If you are going to read it, make sure you understand why order of
>> evaluation & precedence are not the same thing.
>> Read Steve Summit's posts on this:
>> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/readings/index2.html - Read "On precedence vs.
>> order of evaluation: " (While you are at it, read the rest of the posts
>> he made,too).
>>
>> Der

> Sorry for my ignorance but it feels like distinction without difference.
> Following Steve Summit, consider *p++, equivalent to *(p++). Expression
> p++ _is_ evaluated first, and its _value_, as we know, is _old_ p. (Its
> side effect is incrementing p.) So *p++ dereferences _old_ p. So what? It
> looks like the distinction only muddies waters not clean otherwise either.
> Am I wrong anywhere here?
> Regards,
> Ark

Ark, from your example, *p++, you cannot get the whole picture about
order of evaluation & precedence.
There is more to it.
Please take a look at:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/readings/...oe.960725.html
and
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/readings/....20010512.html

Read it and re-read it again, until you understand.
It should be much clearer after you have read these links.

If that didn't help, please tell me, and I'll try my best to clarify your
misunderstanding.

Have fun,

Der