Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: Current status of iostream.h

Re: Current status of iostream.h

Tim Cambrant

"Martin Dickopp" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:bi8dc2$bpi$03$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> "Tim Cambrant" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > Hello, I'm relatively new to C, although I've touched the subject

several
> > times for a couple of years. Tutorials etc. always taught me that I

should
> > use (in the beginning at least) cin and cout when outputting text to the
> > screen.
> >
> > Recently, when giving C another shot with the new GCC 3.3, I couldn't

use
> > the functions defined in iostream.h anymore. I don't remember the actual
> > errors, but i think that the library had been separated into istream.h

and
> > ostream.h. I seem to recall a warning as well, when using any of the
> > functions in those files.
> >
> > Is iostream getting deprecated, or was I just using it wrong? I'm using

GCC
> > 2.95.4 at the moment, so I can't recreate the errors again for now. I

do,
> > however, want to know if I should use iostream for file-io etc. or if
> > another library has taken it's place.
> >
> > I like to be aware of how to do things the "right" way, and following
> > standards and so on, so a change of this caliber might as well catch my
> > radar now, so I won't have that problem the next time I'm confronted

with a
> > newer GCC-version.
> >
> > Any answers to this matter would be appreciated. Thank you.

> You are wrong here in comp.lang.c. This is a C++ question, not a C

question.

> -> Fullquote, X-Post & Fup: comp.lang.c++
>
> Martin

This is a C-question though, since I thought that iostream.h was a
C-library.

Artie Gold

Tim Cambrant wrote:
> "Martin Dickopp" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:bi8dc2$bpi$03$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
>
>>"Tim Cambrant" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>

>>>Hello, I'm relatively new to C, although I've touched the subject

> several
>
>>>times for a couple of years. Tutorials etc. always taught me that I

> should
>
>>>use (in the beginning at least) cin and cout when outputting text to the
>>>screen.
>>>
>>>Recently, when giving C another shot with the new GCC 3.3, I couldn't

> use
>
>>>the functions defined in iostream.h anymore. I don't remember the actual
>>>errors, but i think that the library had been separated into istream.h

> and
>
>>>ostream.h. I seem to recall a warning as well, when using any of the
>>>functions in those files.
>>>
>>>Is iostream getting deprecated, or was I just using it wrong? I'm using

> GCC
>
>>>2.95.4 at the moment, so I can't recreate the errors again for now. I

> do,
>
>>>however, want to know if I should use iostream for file-io etc. or if
>>>another library has taken it's place.
>>>
>>>I like to be aware of how to do things the "right" way, and following
>>>standards and so on, so a change of this caliber might as well catch my
>>>radar now, so I won't have that problem the next time I'm confronted

> with a
>
>>>newer GCC-version.
>>>
>>>Any answers to this matter would be appreciated. Thank you.

>>You are wrong here in comp.lang.c. This is a C++ question, not a C

> question.
>
>>-> Fullquote, X-Post & Fup: comp.lang.c++
>>
>>Martin

> This is a C-question though, since I thought that iostream.h was a
> C-library.

No it's a pre-standard C++ _header_.

Please see my other reply.

HTH,
--ag

--
Artie Gold -- Austin, Texas

Rolf Magnus

Tim Cambrant wrote:

> This is a C-question though, since I thought that iostream.h was a
> C-library.

It is neither a library, nor is it C. It used to be a C++ header in the
days before C++ was standardized.