Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > open a pipe /c++ fstream as return?

open a pipe /c++ fstream as return?

Laszlo Barabas

Hi,

Until now I used the " FILE* popen(const char *, const char*)" to open one pipe
and I got one "c style" file descriptor back.

What I need is a similar system call to open a pipe, but instead of getting a
file descriptor I need a "C++ -style" fstream (class fstream).

Can anybody help me?
best regards
Laszlo
--
Laszlo Barabas
Center for High Performance Computing TU Dresden

Thomas Matthews

Laszlo Barabas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Until now I used the " FILE* popen(const char *, const char*)" to open one pipe
> and I got one "c style" file descriptor back.
>
> What I need is a similar system call to open a pipe, but instead of getting a
> file descriptor I need a "C++ -style" fstream (class fstream).
>
> Can anybody help me?
> best regards
> Laszlo

Since popen is not in the _standard_ C++ language,
have you tried asking the experts in a newsgroup
devoted to your platform or operating system?

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Alex Vinokur

"Laszlo Barabas" <(E-Mail Removed)-dresden.de> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)-dresden.de...
> Hi,
>
> Until now I used the " FILE* popen(const char *, const char*)" to open one pipe
> and I got one "c style" file descriptor back.
>
> What I need is a similar system call to open a pipe, but instead of getting a
> file descriptor I need a "C++ -style" fstream (class fstream).
>
> Can anybody help me?
> best regards
> Laszlo
> --
> Laszlo Barabas
> Center for High Performance Computing TU Dresden
> e-mail: (E-Mail Removed)-dresden.de
> phone : (0351) (463) 38553

Look at C++-wrapper around the popen() system call :
http://alexvn.freeservers.com/s1/popen.html
http://www.simtel.net/product.php?id=61570

--
Alex Vinokur