Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > wg21

Agent Mulder

Hi group,

we all have our favourite 'lacking features' in C++ and
as I get it, it is just a matter of pushing, until some exhausted
comite accepts your new keyword.

How to push?

I found the answer on comp.std.c++, but it leaves open
a few questions:

Francis Glassborow:
> the answer is very simple, draft a proposal including text for
> the next Standard and submit it to WG21's evolution group. If it is
> indeed as trivial as you suggest then it will not take you very long to
> do so. Of course the compiler implementors may then have something to
> say about it.

1. How do you write a proposal? What should be in it?
Where can I find examples of good proposals?

2. What is the WG21 evolution group? What do they do?
What criteria do they use judging a proposal? How do you
submit a proposal to them?

I found the website but it is very big and oddly structured.
Difficult to traverse. Some pointers are welcome. Thanks.

-X

Attila Feher

Agent Mulder wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> we all have our favourite 'lacking features' in C++ and
> as I get it, it is just a matter of pushing, until some exhausted
> comite accepts your new keyword.
>
> How to push?
>
> I found the answer on comp.std.c++, but it leaves open
> a few questions:
>
> Francis Glassborow:
>> the answer is very simple, draft a proposal including text for
>> the next Standard and submit it to WG21's evolution group. If it is
>> indeed as trivial as you suggest then it will not take you very
>> long to do so. Of course the compiler implementors may then have
>> something to say about it.

> 1. How do you write a proposal? What should be in it?
> Where can I find examples of good proposals?
>
> 2. What is the WG21 evolution group? What do they do?
> What criteria do they use judging a proposal? How do you
> submit a proposal to them?
>
> I found the website but it is very big and oddly structured.
> Difficult to traverse. Some pointers are welcome. Thanks.

These are all questions, which belong to the newsgroup comp.std.c++

If you are interested in the topic it is worth to look at this:

http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/

This *is* the Website And you started already to see the issue: it *is*
very difficult to write a good proposal for new features for the C++
language. I believe that you will need to post to the above mentioned NG
and ask for proposal formats etc. there. I also suggest that before you
propose anything you make a test drive of it in the std newsgroup. If
people there are shooting flames at you, do not ever bother writing a
proposal.

--
Attila aka WW

Agent Mulder

AF> If you are interested in the topic (of WG21)
AF> it is worth to look at this:
AF>
AF> http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/
AF>
AF> it *is* very difficult to write a good proposal
AF> for new features for the C++

I feel very small in comp.std.c++ among all the giant
marble statues and important parts of the website of
WG21 are closed to me. It seems that sometimes a
proposal takes years to get through and people get
heavily emotionally involved over matters. I doubt if
I have the time but I certainly lack the temper to push
my view all the way. First I was afraid that someone
would run with my keyword, because it is so obvious,
but now it seems that nobody cares.

AF> I also suggest that before you propose anything you
AF> make a test drive of it in the std newsgroup. If people
AF> there are shooting flames at you, do not ever bother
AF> writing a proposal.

Well, I did, both in comp.lang.c++ and in comp.std.c++ and
I was shooted flames at, but in this newsgroup it silenced the
regular nitpickers really quick and I also heard some agreeing
murmers from established people. How to go about?

-X