Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Portable Filesystem Library

Portable Filesystem Library

Janina Kramer

Hi!

I'm working on a project that has to be portable (Windows, Linux, Unix (IDE
is VisualC++) ). What I need is the list of files in a certain directory
(+subdirs), but I also need to know some file attributes like size and 'date
of last change'.
Anybody knows a lib that can do this for me?

Thanks in advance
Janina

Attila Feher

Janina Kramer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm working on a project that has to be portable (Windows, Linux,
> Unix (IDE is VisualC++) ). What I need is the list of files in a
> certain directory (+subdirs), but I also need to know some file
> attributes like size and 'date of last change'.
> Anybody knows a lib that can do this for me?

There was a beta library on Boost ( http://www.boost.org ) . I dunno its
state. If all else fails you might be able to use POSIX (and limit a loads
of things ).

Attila

Icosahedron

"Attila Feher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bi1h3l$gjd$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Janina Kramer wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm working on a project that has to be portable (Windows, Linux,
> > Unix (IDE is VisualC++) ). What I need is the list of files in a
> > certain directory (+subdirs), but I also need to know some file
> > attributes like size and 'date of last change'.
> > Anybody knows a lib that can do this for me?

> There was a beta library on Boost ( http://www.boost.org ) . I dunno its
> state. If all else fails you might be able to use POSIX (and limit a loads
> of things ).
>
> Attila

I've used the boost filesystem library on both Windows and Linux in
applications, and it seems to work nicely.

Jay

Rene Eng

Hi Janina

"Janina Kramer" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:bi142d$hdt$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Hi!
>
> I'm working on a project that has to be portable (Windows, Linux, Unix

(IDE
> is VisualC++) ). What I need is the list of files in a certain directory
> (+subdirs), but I also need to know some file attributes like size and

'date
> of last change'.
> Anybody knows a lib that can do this for me?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Janina

I checked out boost.org myself too, and it says there that it only supports
POSIX or Windows-like OSes.
So, I am not really sure if this includes Linux and UNIX?
If you are using it already meanwhile, you may better stick to it.

If not, you can try my 'directory-scan' classes which work for sure on
Windows, Solaris and AIX.
It was developped with JBuilder but does not use much JBuilder-specific
stuff, so it should not be too complicated to convert it for Visual C++.
You'll find the files for download and HTML documentation on
http://gemini.futurezone.com

hth
René

C++ sources, cross-platform (UNIX and WinTel) and
covering several topics: http://gemini.futurezone.com

Ron Natalie

"Rene Eng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f451cfe$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I checked out boost.org myself too, and it says there that it only supports
> POSIX or Windows-like OSes.
> So, I am not really sure if this includes Linux and UNIX?

POSIX is an interface standard for UNIX-like operating systems.
LINUX and UNIX should not have a problem with it.