Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Re: Virtual PC system requirements

Re: Virtual PC system requirements

Marlin Munrow

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:46:07 -0800, Ryan Ruin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The recommended system requirements for running VPC 6.1 on a Mac include 500MHz. Does anyone know how significantly performance will be affected if I run VPC with 450MHz, instead?

9/10 ?

================================
My Hero:
(remove vroomfondle to email me)
================================

Joe

Processor doesn't seem to be the big thing (at least not on the PC side), I
would however make sure I have tons of memory.

Joe

"Marlin Munrow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:46:07 -0800, Ryan Ruin
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >The recommended system requirements for running VPC 6.1 on a Mac include

500MHz. Does anyone know how significantly performance will be affected if I
run VPC with 450MHz, instead?
> 9/10 ?
>

> ================================
> My Hero:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/index.html
> (remove vroomfondle to email me)
> ================================

matt

"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Processor doesn't seem to be the big thing (at least not on the PC
> side), I would however make sure I have tons of memory.
>
> Joe
>

> "Marlin Munrow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:46:07 -0800, Ryan Ruin
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >The recommended system requirements for running VPC 6.1 on a Mac
>> >include

> 500MHz. Does anyone know how significantly performance will be
> affected if I run VPC with 450MHz, instead?
>> 9/10 ?
>>

>> ================================
>> My Hero:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/index.html
>> (remove vroomfondle to email me)
>> ================================

Becareful with the Virtual PC. Backup!!! I go to a tech school in
California and on Friday the 13th all was info was lost. We built a VPC
for each chapter of MS press books for MCSA\MCSE 2k3. We were running
brand new 64bit chips with 2 gigs of ram and a 160 gig hd on win2k pro.
Problem...win2kpro has a registry flaw that does not like anything over
137gigs. Result...hd's crashed and when we tried to recover them using
about ten different recovery programs they recovered 99 ntfs boot
records. So back up and run on winxppro. Recovery programs cant
firgure what is real and what is virtual. Hope this helps.

Marlin Munrow

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:52:03 -0600, matt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Processor doesn't seem to be the big thing (at least not on the PC
>> side), I would however make sure I have tons of memory.
>>
>> Joe
>>

>> "Marlin Munrow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>> 500MHz. Does anyone know how significantly performance will be
>> affected if I run VPC with 450MHz, instead?
>>> 9/10 ?
>>>

>>> ================================
>>> My Hero:
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/index.html
>>> (remove vroomfondle to email me)
>>> ================================

>Becareful with the Virtual PC. Backup!!! I go to a tech school in
>California and on Friday the 13th all was info was lost. We built a VPC
>for each chapter of MS press books for MCSA\MCSE 2k3. We were running
>brand new 64bit chips with 2 gigs of ram and a 160 gig hd on win2k pro.
>Problem...win2kpro has a registry flaw that does not like anything over
>137gigs. Result...hd's crashed and when we tried to recover them using
>about ten different recovery programs they recovered 99 ntfs boot
>records. So back up and run on winxppro. Recovery programs cant
>firgure what is real and what is virtual. Hope this helps.

Nice one!
Thanks, I was just thinking of doing something similar, I guess XP and
GSX Server or VMWare workstation )

================================
My Hero:
(remove vroomfondle to email me)

Luke

I've run variou Windows operating systems and software on
VPC on a 400Mhz G3 (upgraded from a stock 150Mhz; the
bottleneck was a 50Mhz bus speed). It would run descently
enough to use it. IE would browse ok (even scroll pretty
well); Windows Media player would skip quite a bit though.
Launching programs was very slow, however.