Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > problem linking dll in C++

problem linking dll in C++

Brian Su

Hello guys, I would appreciate it if you C++ Gurus could
help me out a little here.

I downloaded some source code from online and I can't compile
it because it requires a .dll file. The author did include the
source code for the .dll file as well.

I'm using Visual C++ so I clicked New -> Win32 Dynamic Link Library.
Then I made a new c/c++ header file and I copied and paste the code
into it. And I also made a new c/c++ source file and copied and paste
the code into it.
After all that I clicked compile then build. It worked fine and it
generated the .dll file, but it didn't generate the .lib file as well

I don't understand how can I link the main program to the .dll file
if it doesn't have the .lib file?

How do I generate the .lib file? and how to link a program to a .dll
file? where should I put the .dll file in and what do I click in V
C++?

I would really really appreciate your feedbacks.
Thanks so much guys.

Brian.

Jeremy Cowles

FYI: the microsoft news server is MSnews.microsoft.com (notice the MS before
news.microsoft.com).

HTH,
Jeremy

"John Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhqf4u$1vk4u$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Brian Su" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello guys, I would appreciate it if you C++ Gurus could
> > help me out a little here.
> >
> > I downloaded some source code from online and I can't compile
> > it because it requires a .dll file. The author did include the
> > source code for the .dll file as well.
> >
> > I'm using Visual C++ so I clicked New -> Win32 Dynamic Link Library.
> > Then I made a new c/c++ header file and I copied and paste the code
> > into it. And I also made a new c/c++ source file and copied and paste
> > the code into it.
> > After all that I clicked compile then build. It worked fine and it
> > generated the .dll file, but it didn't generate the .lib file as well
> >
> > I don't understand how can I link the main program to the .dll file
> > if it doesn't have the .lib file?
> >
> > How do I generate the .lib file? and how to link a program to a .dll
> > file? where should I put the .dll file in and what do I click in V
> > C++?
> >
> > I would really really appreciate your feedbacks.
> > Thanks so much guys.
> >
> > Brian.

> Your question is a 'How do I operate my compiler?' type question. This

group
> is for question about the C++ language, which has nothing to say about

dlls,
> or linking.
>
> Try a group that is about your compiler,
> news:microsoft.public.vc.ide_general for instance. You can find this on

the
> news://news.microsoft.com server, if your own news server doesn't carry

it.

> john

John Harrison

"Jeremy Cowles" <jeremy.cowles[nosp@m]asifl.com> wrote in message
news:e750b.52430$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> FYI: the microsoft news server is MSnews.microsoft.com (notice the MS

before
> news.microsoft.com).

> HTH,
> Jeremy

Actually both names work (at least the last time I tried they did).

john