Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Visual C++ Runtime error while registering a DLL!

Visual C++ Runtime error while registering a DLL!

Mike Wahler

Rao Kachibhotla <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Deskband project that builds a DLL. When I
> register the DLL, I get the usual success dialog, but i
> also get "Visual C++ RunTime error" that says "This
> application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an
> unusual way. Please request product support for this
> application."
>
> I noticed that DLL has unloaded at this point. Also, my
> DLLRegisterServer is wizard generated and didn't add any
> code to it.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes. Read the message again. Particularly the part that
says: "Please request product support for this application."

This has nothing to do with C++.

-Mike

Rao Kachibhotla

Hi,

I have a Deskband project that builds a DLL. When I
register the DLL, I get the usual success dialog, but i
also get "Visual C++ RunTime error" that says "This
application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an
unusual way. Please request product support for this
application."

I noticed that DLL has unloaded at this point. Also, my
DLLRegisterServer is wizard generated and didn't add any
code to it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Venkatesh

Victor Bazarov

"Rao Kachibhotla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> I have a Deskband project that builds a DLL. When I
> register the DLL, I get the usual success dialog, but i
> also get "Visual C++ RunTime error" that says "This
> application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an
> unusual way. Please request product support for this
> application."
>
> I noticed that DLL has unloaded at this point. Also, my
> DLLRegisterServer is wizard generated and didn't add any
> code to it.
>
> Any ideas?

When there is a run-time message like the one you are
getting, it is likely there is an error in the code. It
is impossible to tell the reason without seeing the code,
as you probably realise. If the code is ridden with MS-
specific stuff and you're somehow mis-using it, you may
want to post to a Windows-specific newsgroup, where DLLs
and stuff pertaining to their initialisation is on topic.

If you think that your code may have an error that has
nothing to do with mis-using MS Windows API, post it here,
we could try helping you locate that rogue pointer or
memory overrun. But no guarantees, hope you understand...

Victor

Noah Roberts

Mike Wahler wrote:
> Rao Kachibhotla <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a Deskband project that builds a DLL. When I
>>register the DLL, I get the usual success dialog, but i
>>also get "Visual C++ RunTime error" that says "This
>>application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an
>>unusual way. Please request product support for this
>>application."
>>
>>I noticed that DLL has unloaded at this point. Also, my
>>DLLRegisterServer is wizard generated and didn't add any
>>code to it.
>>
>>Any ideas?

> Yes. Read the message again. Particularly the part that
> says: "Please request product support for this application."

Except in this case wouldn't he be attempting to get support from
himself? If I understand correctly the error was generated by
windows about his program so it might be rather pointless to ask for
product support from the vendor of the application

Of course that doesn't make the Q on topic but it is funny.

NR