Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Definition of POD types

Definition of POD types

John Dibling

Could somebody please direct me to a location in the standard where
POD types are defined? That is, where in the standard is it defined
what attributes a POD type has that a non-POD hasn't? Also, what does
the acronym stand for?

Thanks,

</dib>
John Dibling
Witty banter omitted for your protection

Alf P. Steinbach

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:49:17 GMT, John Dibling <dib@substitute_my_full_last_name_here.com> wrote:

>Could somebody please direct me to a location in the standard where
>POD types are defined?

9/4: POD struct, POD union and POD class (the latter is a general term
for POD struct or POD union).

3.9/1: POD type.

>That is, where in the standard is it defined what attributes a POD type
>has that a non-POD hasn't?

It's actually opposite; see the first reference above.

>Also, what does the acronym stand for?

Plain Old Datatype.

John Dibling

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:05:22 -0400, "Victor Bazarov"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can't you search the Standard for "POD"? <sigh>...

Of course I did. Found many references to datatypes which were
described as being POD types or non-POD types, but nowhere was the
term POD defined.

>3.9/10 "Arithmetic types (3.9.1), enumeration types, pointer types,
> and pointer to member types (3.9.2), and cvqualified versions of
> these types (3.9.3) are collectively called scalar types. Scalar
> types, POD-struct types, POD-union types (clause 9), arrays of such
> types and cv-qualified versions of these types (3.9.3) are
> collectively called POD types."

Saw this, but it didn't explain what common attributes correlated
these types as POD types. Especially since the desription is more
thatn somewhat self-referential, I did not find enlightenment here.

>POD stands for Plain Old Data.

<click> This explains a great deal. Everything, in fact. All
questions answered. Thanks.

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:01:05 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Alf P. Steinbach)
wrote:

>Plain Old Datatype.

Thanks much.

</dib>
John Dibling
Witty banter omitted for your protection

Definition order of POD hurcan solter C++ 6 03-16-2007 11:51 PM
Template for POD types only Raider C++ 8 12-29-2005 11:29 AM
malloc vs new for POD types Method Man C++ 20 10-31-2004 01:06 PM
Is array of POD still a POD type? Ajax Chelsea C++ 1 12-01-2003 01:56 PM
A (probable) error in perltoot ( perl5/5.8.0/pod/perltoot.pod, line number 756 ) Himanshu Garg Perl Misc 1 09-21-2003 03:28 AM

Advertisments