Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Sets - Bit Array Vs. List

Sets - Bit Array Vs. List

Mike Wahler

Sonoman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2OFWa.22896$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com ...
> Hello All:
> What is the difference between these two.

The standard library features a container type
called 'std::list'. The same is not true of
'bit array' (perhaps you meant something else?)

>Is there any site that can show me
> the contrast and similarities between both of these?

The standard library has a 'list' type, but not a
'bit array' type. Do you mean the 'std::bitset'
type?

If so, look in any programming or algorithms book
which should show you the difference between an
array and a linked list.

>I have a couple of
> begginer books that make no reference on this issue.

Which books?

>Please help.

Peer reviews of C++ books can be viewed at
www.accu.org

-Mike

Sonoman

Hello All:
What is the difference between these two. Is there any site that can show me
the contrast and similarities between both of these? I have a couple of
begginer books that make no reference on this issue. Please help. Thanks in
advance.

Sonoman

John Harrison

"Sonoman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2OFWa.22896$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com ...
> Hello All:
> What is the difference between these two. Is there any site that can show

me
> the contrast and similarities between both of these? I have a couple of
> begginer books that make no reference on this issue. Please help. Thanks

in
> advance.
>
> Sonoman

You asking about the implementation of sets using either arrays of bits or
lists? Not really a C++ question.

The obvious difference it that you can only implement sets whose members are
chosen from a finite range of integral values using a bit array. You
couldn't have a set of words implemented as a bit array for instance, but a
list of strings would be possible. There are also efficiency differences
between the two.

Of course the C++ answer is to use neither, use std::set instead, (or even
std::bitset) that's what its for.

john

Sonoman

C++ how to program by Deitel & Deitel, C++ in 21 days 2nd edition by Jesse
Liberty, but these two do not have much that I can use. BUT I just borrowed
from a friend The C++ programming Language by Stroustroup. I glanced at it
and it looks very promising. I just hope it does not go over my head! It
looks at lot more advanced that the other two.

Sonoman

news:bgff4d$6mt$(E-Mail Removed)...