Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > COM, C++, server, help??

COM, C++, server, help??

bigbinc

I need an example or approach for creating a server in windows that
loads a dll that is about 5MB and I use the dll to interact with
different websites through a servlet connection or whatever. It
probably needs to be C++ as opposed to java because it is loading COM
objects? So the question is, what is the best approach, that is
simple as possible without killing our webserver. I should probably
go with low priority threads. Also our webserver is not that
intesive, but I would like to make sure that requests get destroyed
properly.

I could have created a simple asp page or servlet, as opposed to a
whole server, but like I said, the asp page would have to create a 5MB
object every time the vbscript code is called.

I am wrong with this approach?

Berlin Brown

Alf P. Steinbach

On 24 Jul 2003 15:02:37 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (bigbinc) wrote:

>I need an example or approach for creating a server in windows that
>loads a dll that is about 5MB and I use the dll to interact with
>different websites through a servlet connection or whatever. It
>probably needs to be C++ as opposed to java because it is loading COM
>objects?

That's partially on-topic. Yes, COM is a technology that was
originally developed with C++ in mind. Yes, at least one year
ago Java-to-COM connectivity was still less than perfect, whereas
C++ gives you full control (and also a lot of complexity!).

<OT>
[...]
>I could have created a simple asp page or servlet, as opposed to a
>whole server, but like I said, the asp page would have to create a 5MB
>object every time the vbscript code is called.
>
>I am wrong with this approach?

If it's true as you say here that a 5 MB object would have to be created
very often then yes, you're wrong. But if, on the other hand, it's true
as you indicate earlier that the DLL that implements this object is 5 MB,
then it would be a great coincidence if also each object were 5 MB, and
so I suspect that you're simply a bit confused about this. Why don't
you _measure_?
</OT>