Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Problem with templates and Dll export

Problem with templates and Dll export

Marc André Ueberall

Hi there!

I've got the following problem and would be very happy if there is somebody
with a solution! =)

Btw. I'm using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Std Edition

I've generated a template class called "CSingleton"

template <class T>
class __declspec(dllexport) CSingleton
{
static T *lpSingleton;

public:
CSingleton(void);
~CSingleton(void);

static T &GetSingleton(void);
static T *GetSingletonPtr(void);
};

Now I'm going to implement a texture manager (or whatever) like this

class DUSKENGINE_API CTextureManager: public CSingleton<CTextureManager>
{
public:
CTextureManager(void);
~CTextureManager(void);
};

When compiling this I get the following errors:

CTextureManager.obj : error LNK2001: "public: __thiscall
DuskEngine::Core::CSingleton<class
DuskEngine::Renderer::CTextureManager>::CSingleton <class
DuskEngine::Renderer::CTextureManager>(void)" (??0?$CSingleton@VCT
extureManager@Renderer@DuskEngine@@@Core@DuskEngin e@@QAE@XZ)
CTextureManager.obj : error LNK2001: "public: __thiscall
DuskEngine::Core::CSingleton<class
DuskEngine::Renderer::CTextureManager>::~CSingleto n<class
DuskEngine::Renderer::CTextureManager>(void)" (??1?$CSingleton@VC
TextureManager@Renderer@DuskEngine@@@Core@DuskEngi ne@@QAE@XZ)

How do I export home-brew-templates and classes that are using them in a
dll???

Thank you for your comments!

Marc André Ueberall

Param

Hi
I guess u are right exporting from a DLL is not defined...
But u can try using explicit template instantiation where the Object for the
class is created with some of the known types
i.e. the writer of the class should be aware of the type of instantiations
for that peculiar template class...

This instantiation can be exported from the DLL and then u could use this
class with no Linking errors...

Paramjeet Singh

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Templates templates templates JKop C++ 3 07-21-2004 11:44 AM
samlib.dll / Export-NTDLL.DLL-RtlFreeUnicodeString Some1 Computer Support 8 04-01-2004 11:31 PM
Invalid export DLL or export format =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVmFsbGU=?= ASP .Net 0 10-29-2003 11:46 AM