Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: Documentation of C++ Standard Library

Re: Documentation of C++ Standard Library

Teddy

I'm not sure, but I thought that the library that comes with the GNU
compiler is a C++ standard library.

Teddy

osmium wrote:

> Teddy writes:
>

>>Where do I find a documentation of GNU C++ standard library? What
>>Classes exist and how to use and so on.
>>Perhaps I'm stupid, but I did not find it on the GNU Homepage.

> Are you sure your question isn't ambiguous? Do you want the C++ Standard
> Library or the library that comes with the GNU compiler? I am not at all
> sure they are the same thing.

Victor Bazarov

"Teddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> I'm not sure, but I thought that the library that comes with the GNU
> compiler is a C++ standard library.

(a) Please don't top-post.

(b) The difference between the C++ Standard Library and the one
that comes with the GNU compiler is the same as between C++
language and GNU C++ (hint: one is the ideal described in its
International Standard, the other is an implementation).

Most likely, there is no documentation describing GNU C++ library.
Those who implemented it did so (hopefully) by looking at the C++
Standard. How close they came to it is probably known, and you
can probably find that out in their discussion forums or whatever
documents available on their site. If you want to know that the
implementation is supposed to cover, the best source is the Standard
itself. If you want to know what is available and _how_to_use_it_,
get the Josuttis' book I mentioned in the other reply.

> Teddy
>
> osmium wrote:
>
> > Teddy writes:
> >

> >>Where do I find a documentation of GNU C++ standard library? What
> >>Classes exist and how to use and so on.
> >>Perhaps I'm stupid, but I did not find it on the GNU Homepage.

> > Are you sure your question isn't ambiguous? Do you want the C++

Standard
> > Library or the library that comes with the GNU compiler? I am not at

all
> > sure they are the same thing.

Mike Wahler

Teddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f1ec141$0$22092$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure, but I thought that the library that comes with the GNU
> compiler is a C++ standard library.

Not precisely as per the ISO standard. It adds some
nonstandard stuff, which is why you really need a
good book (I recommend Josuttis') so you can know
the difference.

BTW please don't top-post.
Thank you.

-Mike