Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Ms-Dos C++ compiler and good editor

Ms-Dos C++ compiler and good editor

lovens weche

Is there a good editor that can be used with a 32 bit compiler under the
MS-Dos platform? I used to use the Watcom C++ 11 compiler but the editor
that came with it (VI if I remeber) was not that great, in fact it was
horrible. I'm searching for a Borland C++ style editor and a good C++ 32 bit
compiler. Doesn't really matter if the compiler doesn't optimize the code.
Thanx in advance...

Lovens

Tom

"lovens weche" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there a good editor that can be used with a 32 bit compiler under the
> MS-Dos platform? I used to use the Watcom C++ 11 compiler but the editor
> that came with it (VI if I remeber) was not that great, in fact it was
> horrible. I'm searching for a Borland C++ style editor and a good C++ 32 bit
> compiler. Doesn't really matter if the compiler doesn't optimize the code.
> Thanx in advance...

[OT>]

Your best bet is almost certainly djgpp (www.delorie.com/djgpp), which
is a 32-bit C++ compiler running on MS-DOS. djgpp is a port of gcc
(currently porting version 3.2.1), so its conformance to the standard
is very high, and it generates highly optimized code. It comes with
rhide, which is a Borland C++ style editor/IDE, but rhide can be a
little buggy. You can also download emacs with it, which works great
but is not a borland-style editor. But you can of course use any
editor you please and just compile from the command line. Other
options are Digital Mars C++, which was not as standard complying as
gcc and djgpp last time I checked, and the Open Watcom project, which
also has a way to go in standards compliance. Also take a look at
Section 37 of the FAQ:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...endencies.html

[<OT]

Best regards,