Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: Operator overloading a mistake??

Re: Operator overloading a mistake??

Peter van Merkerk

> Well, for starters the entire iostream library is based on operator
> overloading.

I'm well aware that the standard library, including the iostream
library, uses operator overloading, as do many other libraries. But that
doesn't prove your point. AFAIK it is possible implement a library with
the same functionality without operator overloading. No doubt such a
library would have a very ugly syntax.

With syntactic sugar I mean language features that make it easier/more
natural to use certain functionality, functionality that could also be
invoked in another (less convient) way. That doesn't make syntactic
sugar a bad thing, not at all. Operator overloading is a good thing, but
there is nothing magical about it, it is just a useful language feature.

--
Peter van Merkerk
peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

Victor Bazarov

"cody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> [...]
> you can OVERLOAD the comma operator? how does that work and what purpose
> does it serve?

Please use the archives to find relevant discussions. This topic
has been entertained more than enough.

Victor