Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: Accessing your own symbol table

Re: Accessing your own symbol table

Peter Shaggy Haywood

Groovy hepcat Raoul Gough was jivin' on Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:49:30
+0100 in comp.lang.c.
Re: Accessing your own symbol table's a cool scene! Dig it!

>(E-Mail Removed) (Paul MG) writes:
>
>> What you *can* do is compile it with -g, and use another C program
>> (your debugger) to look at the first program and tell you what the
>> backtrace was. It strikes me (possibly fallaciously) that it should be
>> possible to include this functionality into your own program (compiled
>> with -g) to achieve my goal.

>AFAIK, gdb is moving towards a complete separation of debugging
>functionality and the user-interface. The debugging functionality is
>supposed to be provided as a stand-alone library which the gdb
>
>Please let the group know if you get this working!

No, don't, as it is off topic in both newsgroups to which the OP
(and all respondants) cross posted.

http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/

Raoul Gough

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Peter "Shaggy" Haywood) writes:

> Groovy hepcat Raoul Gough was jivin' on Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:49:30
> +0100 in comp.lang.c.
> Re: Accessing your own symbol table's a cool scene! Dig it!
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) (Paul MG) writes:
>>
>>> What you *can* do is compile it with -g, and use another C program
>>> (your debugger) to look at the first program and tell you what the
>>> backtrace was. It strikes me (possibly fallaciously) that it should be
>>> possible to include this functionality into your own program (compiled
>>> with -g) to achieve my goal.

>>AFAIK, gdb is moving towards a complete separation of debugging
>>functionality and the user-interface. The debugging functionality is
>>supposed to be provided as a stand-alone library which the gdb
>>
>>Please let the group know if you get this working!

> No, don't, as it is off topic in both newsgroups to which the OP
> (and all respondants) cross posted.

IMO, this is a _borderline_ topic, certainly not fully off-topic, as
you seem to think. I would consider an implementation to be of low
quality if it didn't provide some way of getting a stack dump
(possibly via a debugger) even though the standards don't require
this. Walking the stack from within your own code will be
platform-specific, but some (many?) platforms have library routines to
assist with this. In other words, it's quality of implementation
(and/or documentation).

--
Raoul Gough
"Let there be one measure for wine throughout our kingdom, and one

Peter Shaggy Haywood

Groovy hepcat Raoul Gough was jivin' on Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:25:03
+0100 in comp.lang.c.
Re: Accessing your own symbol table's a cool scene! Dig it!

>(E-Mail Removed) (Peter "Shaggy" Haywood) writes:
>
>> Groovy hepcat Raoul Gough was jivin' on Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:49:30
>> +0100 in comp.lang.c.
>> Re: Accessing your own symbol table's a cool scene! Dig it!

>>>AFAIK, gdb is moving towards a complete separation of debugging
>>>functionality and the user-interface. The debugging functionality is
>>>supposed to be provided as a stand-alone library which the gdb
>>>
>>>Please let the group know if you get this working!

>> No, don't, as it is off topic in both newsgroups to which the OP
>> (and all respondants) cross posted.

>IMO, this is a _borderline_ topic, certainly not fully off-topic, as

How to use gdb is completely off topic. How to use some
implementation specific feature to perform some task is completely off
topic. Linking non-standard libraries to provide some functionality
not provided by the standard library is completely off topic.

http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/