Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Cannot read a DVD-RAM disk in my PC recorded by a Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder

Cannot read a DVD-RAM disk in my PC recorded by a Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder

dkelertas@gmail.com

Cannot read a DVD-RAM disk in my PC recorded by a Panasonic DVD/HDD
recorder.

After inserting a DVD RAM disk into my DVD drive of my dell laptop the
disc is not recognised. Windows XP file explorer says "please insert a
disk".

On Nero drive info it shows that the DVD drive in my computer is
capable of reading DVD-RAM disks.

The disk cannot be finalised on the Panasonic DVD unit - I don't think
you need to finalise DVD-RAM.

Any suggestions?

Phill Daniel

>Cannot read a DVD-RAM disk in my PC recorded by a Panasonic DVD/HDD
>recorder.
>
>After inserting a DVD RAM disk into my DVD drive of my dell laptop the
>disc is not recognised. Windows XP file explorer says "please insert a
>disk".
>
>On Nero drive info it shows that the DVD drive in my computer is
>capable of reading DVD-RAM disks.
>
>The disk cannot be finalised on the Panasonic DVD unit - I don't think
>you need to finalise DVD-RAM.
>
>Any suggestions?

Unsure what the actual issue is, however have you tried a program such as
ISOBUSTER which allows you to browse CD's / DVD's even if they havent been
finalised.

Another thing.. InCD might need to be installed as the DVD-RAM format can be
used as Hard disk with reading / writing like one.

DVD-RAM dont need finalising! the format doesnt really support that feature.

If you are still unsure.. can i suggest that you go into the device manager and
confirm from there, the device manufacturer / model number and go to CDRFREAKS
or Videohelp.com (whatever the name) and check / confirm the drive
capabilities.

Phill.

Java Jive

You need:

1) A drive that can read DVD-RAMs, not all do. As you've discovered,
Nero InfoTool clarifies that.
2) Drivers that can read the UDF data format of which DVD-RAM are an
example, eg: InCD v4 or later as suggested by Phill, or the Panasonic UDF2
driver here:
http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/.../download.html
(for a non-Panasonic drive like mine, the Panasonic-specific part of the
installation is disabled - you can only use KXLCB30A.EXE to install UDF2).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Cannot read a DVD-RAM disk in my PC recorded by a Panasonic DVD/HDD
> recorder.

root

> Cannot read a DVD-RAM disk in my PC recorded by a Panasonic DVD/HDD
> recorder.
>
> After inserting a DVD RAM disk into my DVD drive of my dell laptop the
> disc is not recognised. Windows XP file explorer says "please insert a
> disk".
>
> On Nero drive info it shows that the DVD drive in my computer is
> capable of reading DVD-RAM disks.
>
> The disk cannot be finalised on the Panasonic DVD unit - I don't think
> you need to finalise DVD-RAM.
>
> Any suggestions?

Are you sure the drive will read DVD-RAM disks? If so, the disks written
by the Panasonic have to be read as a UDF file system. UDF is
different from ISO9660. Finally, files on the RAM disk are .VRO format
which differ from .VOB files.

Bill's News

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Cannot read a DVD-RAM disk in my PC recorded by a Panasonic DVD/HDD
> recorder.
>
> After inserting a DVD RAM disk into my DVD drive of my dell laptop
> the
> disc is not recognised. Windows XP file explorer says "please insert
> disk".
>
> On Nero drive info it shows that the DVD drive in my computer is
> capable of reading DVD-RAM disks.
>
> The disk cannot be finalised on the Panasonic DVD unit - I don't
> think
> you need to finalise DVD-RAM.
>
> Any suggestions?

This has to do with writing to DVD-RAM vs. packet writing to CD/DVD on
a Toshiba laptop, it may or may not pertain to how DELL has
implimented the DVD-RAM on your system. The drive installed is a
Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-820S. If you have packet writing enabled, this
may help?

From the Toshiba laptop support site:

Issue

On the DVD Multi Drive you have to switch a setting in order to switch
between writing CD-Rs or DVD-RAM discs. Also when trying to write a
CD-R the option to "Write these files to CD" may be missing. This is
because the drive is in DVD-RAM writing mode.

Resolution

To switch the drive between CD / DVD writing or DVD-RAM writing mode
follow these steps:
* Click on My computer from the Start Menu or the desktop to open it.
Under the "Devices with removable storage" section, right click on the
"DVD-RAM Drive".
* On the pop-up menu, select Properties. (Note: on the Pop-up menu,
"Write these files to CD" will be an available option when CD writing
is selected, and will not be shown when DVD-RAM writing is enabled.)
* Select the Recording tab.
* On the Recording tab, either put a check mark in or remove it for
"Enable CD recording on this drive". (Enable for CD/DVD disable for
DVD-RAM.)
* Click on OK.