Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > New Region 4 and 2 editions of South Pacific, Carousel

New Region 4 and 2 editions of South Pacific, Carousel

anthony

At last these classic Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals have been given
the 2-disc editions they deserve -- crammed with extra features, and in
fantastic anamorphic transfers, to match the Region One edition of
Oklahoma which came out some months back.
Only problem is that being PAL transfers, we have to suffer the 4 per
cent PAL soundtrack lift in pitch, which is particularly noticeable on
South Pacific for some reason. But if you can live with that, grab them
... the Region 4 editions are bargains, at only around $22 each -- I
found them at Ezydvd.com.au.

mindesign

thanks for the info - and the heads up on the pitch issue - I recall when
that god-awful evita was released and I could change the pitch using my
remote on an old Panasonic A300.

I will stick with my US copies of the films

"anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> At last these classic Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals have been given
> the 2-disc editions they deserve -- crammed with extra features, and in
> fantastic anamorphic transfers, to match the Region One edition of
> Oklahoma which came out some months back.
> Only problem is that being PAL transfers, we have to suffer the 4 per
> cent PAL soundtrack lift in pitch, which is particularly noticeable on
> South Pacific for some reason. But if you can live with that, grab them
> .. the Region 4 editions are bargains, at only around $22 each -- I
> found them at Ezydvd.com.au.

anthony

Although I've updated my DVD player to a universal DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio
model, I still have my venerable Panasonic 330 (must be a similar model
to your 300) still connected as a second player for that very same
reason ... one notch down on the karaoke setting puts the soundtrack on
pretty well the correct pitch.

mindesign

yeah - I had the 330 as well .... started collecting DVD in 97, when the 300
was about the only thing you could get, then went to the 330, a Sony DVP
7700 then Pioneers for a while, now back to Panasonic though it is a
recorder - still have a Pioneer and some Chinese brand for difficult discs

and 2500 DVDs - most of which are now for sale when ever I get around to
going through them as we are moving to a much smaller home

oh well - it was a wild ride!

Steve

"anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Although I've updated my DVD player to a universal DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio
> model, I still have my venerable Panasonic 330 (must be a similar model
> to your 300) still connected as a second player for that very same
> reason ... one notch down on the karaoke setting puts the soundtrack on
> pretty well the correct pitch.

anthony

Gotta be some way of storing them, even if without cases ... we have
about 2000 DVDs (started buying same time as you) and moved to a
smaller home three years ago. And found it pretty amazing what we could
fit in ... all the DVDs along with a couple of thousand CDs and about
5000 books ....
I do have a pretty good garden shed which holds the overflow, including
a few hundred LPs.......

mindesign

**** man, watch out for snails , moisture and rats/mice in that shed!

You can see how I store most of our DVDs here

http://www.geocities.com/seriph1/

scroll down about halfway on my oh so clunky homepage

Steve

"anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Gotta be some way of storing them, even if without cases ... we have
> about 2000 DVDs (started buying same time as you) and moved to a
> smaller home three years ago. And found it pretty amazing what we could
> fit in ... all the DVDs along with a couple of thousand CDs and about
> 5000 books ....
> I do have a pretty good garden shed which holds the overflow, including
> a few hundred LPs.......

Colin Wilson

> You can see how I store most of our DVDs here
> http://www.geocities.com/seriph1/
> scroll down about halfway on my oh so clunky homepage

If I may make a small suggestion - some of the images are perhaps 50%
bigger than they appear on the webpage, so resizing them to the size you
want them to appear will make a big difference to the load times :-}

(the page is also relying on the viewing computer to resize the images)

It may also help if you split some of the sections into their own
seperate pages :-}

mindesign

all of that would help enormously, but I keep the site as it is as a
reference - it reminds me just how BAD I was at web design back in 95. It
was written in raw code and I laugh and cringe each time I go to it

Steve

"Colin Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
>> You can see how I store most of our DVDs here
>> http://www.geocities.com/seriph1/
>> scroll down about halfway on my oh so clunky homepage

> If I may make a small suggestion - some of the images are perhaps 50%
> bigger than they appear on the webpage, so resizing them to the size you
> want them to appear will make a big difference to the load times :-}
>
> (the page is also relying on the viewing computer to resize the images)
>
> It may also help if you split some of the sections into their own
> seperate pages :-}

Colin Wilson

> all of that would help enormously, but I keep the site as it is as a
> reference - it reminds me just how BAD I was at web design back in 95. It
> was written in raw code and I laugh and cringe each time I go to it

LOL I can`t really talk - you haven`t seen mine :-}

http://www.coreutilities.co.uk

Talk about plain text editor jobbie...