Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Toshiba: Strong start to HD DVD

Toshiba: Strong start to HD DVD

Allan

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:50:11 GMT, Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >I find that unlikely. Anything they do in the way of processing for
>> >upconversion is available to standard DVD players.

>> Jeff.... did you see these?

>What part of "anything they do in the way of processing for upconversion
>is available to standard DVD players" don't you understand?

So... all upconverting DVD's are EXACTLY THE SAME. Interesting.

My point was a pretty simple one, early reviews say it's great
upconverting machine, and just another reason to buy it.

>Stop posting the same three references over and over.

Posted them once because I was asked to provide proof... and the
second time because I didn't think you read them.

Still don't.

> I'm sure anybody
>that wanted to could find reviews that go the other way,

Yeah... lets see them.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Jeff Rife

Allan (Spamsuckhard@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb. org) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> >What part of "anything they do in the way of processing for upconversion
> >is available to standard DVD players" don't you understand?

> So... all upconverting DVD's are EXACTLY THE SAME. Interesting.

Boy, you just can't read, can you?

If they are doing something "new" and "special" in the HD-DVD players
for upconvert, it will be available in a few months in a standard DVD
player that upconverts.

> >Stop posting the same three references over and over.

> Posted them once because I was asked to provide proof... and the
> second time because I didn't think you read them.

I read three snippets where one guy says it's "some of the best I've
ever seen" with nothing as a reference. So, he's saying it's not crap,
which is what I would expect from a $500 upconverting DVD player.

Then, we have one guy comparing it to a Sony 9100ES, which is definitely
nowhere near the best upconversion (although it is good).

Last, we have this glowing endorsement:

"...looked a little better than other upconverting non-HD players
i've seen. I cant say it looked as good as true Hd source DVD but
is was more than acceptable."

Wow, get out my checkbook.

>> I'm sure anybody
>> that wanted to could find reviews that go the other way,

> Yeah... lets see them.

How about *every* one of those reviews you listed and the quality of
upconversion over component video? Since the HD-A1 doesn't do it at
all, there are many, many upconverting DVD players that look a lot
better.

Again, if you read around AVS Forum, you'll see that nobody who is
serious about getting quality from upconverting DVDs will use a CE player
to do so.

--
Jeff Rife | "What kind of universe is this where a man can't
| love his fake wife's mother's best friend?"
|
| -- Ned Dorsey, "Ned and Stacey"

Allan

On Mon, 01 May 2006 01:50:16 GMT, Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Allan (Spamsuckhard@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb. org) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> >What part of "anything they do in the way of processing for upconversion
>> >is available to standard DVD players" don't you understand?

>> So... all upconverting DVD's are EXACTLY THE SAME. Interesting.

>Boy, you just can't read, can you?
>
>If they are doing something "new" and "special" in the HD-DVD players
>for upconvert, it will be available in a few months in a standard DVD
>player that upconverts.

Yeah.... I can read just fine.

Like when you replied with this:

">and it saves me from having two machines...

This, I agree with. "

So why another machine that 'may' have these improvements that 'could'
be available in a few months matters to this discussion is lost on me.

>I read three snippets where one guy says it's "some of the best I've
>ever seen" with nothing as a reference. So, he's saying it's not crap,
>which is what I would expect from a $500 upconverting DVD player.
>
>Then, we have one guy comparing it to a Sony 9100ES, which is definitely
>nowhere near the best upconversion (although it is good).

Well at least we agree that not all unconverting DVD players are the
same.

>Last, we have this glowing endorsement:
>
> "...looked a little better than other upconverting non-HD players
> i've seen. I cant say it looked as good as true Hd source DVD but
> is was more than acceptable."
>
>Wow, get out my checkbook.

Well if you want a HD DVD player that does a fine job at unconverting
you just might.

>>> I'm sure anybody
>>> that wanted to could find reviews that go the other way,

>> Yeah... lets see them.

>How about *every* one of those reviews you listed and the quality of
>upconversion over component video? Since the HD-A1 doesn't do it at
>all, there are many, many upconverting DVD players that look a lot
>better.
>
>Again, if you read around AVS Forum, you'll see that nobody who is
>serious about getting quality from upconverting DVDs will use a CE player
>to do so.

Actually anyone that is "serious" about upconverting would use a
'scaler' in the their home theatre system.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Jeff Rife

Allan (Spamsuckhard@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb. org) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> >If they are doing something "new" and "special" in the HD-DVD players
> >for upconvert, it will be available in a few months in a standard DVD
> >player that upconverts.

> Yeah.... I can read just fine.
>
> Like when you replied with this:
>
> ">and it saves me from having two machines...
>
> This, I agree with. "
>
> So why another machine that 'may' have these improvements that 'could'
> be available in a few months matters to this discussion is lost on me.

What improvements? There was nothing specific in any of those reviews
other than "it looks good", which is expected. There were no comparisons
against the very best upconversion systems.

> >Last, we have this glowing endorsement:
> >
> > "...looked a little better than other upconverting non-HD players
> > i've seen. I cant say it looked as good as true Hd source DVD but
> > is was more than acceptable."
> >
> >Wow, get out my checkbook.

> Well if you want a HD DVD player that does a fine job at unconverting
> you just might.

"Looked a little better" equals "fine job" to you? This is why I don't
think you can read very well.

> >Again, if you read around AVS Forum, you'll see that nobody who is
> >serious about getting quality from upconverting DVDs will use a CE player
> >to do so.

> Actually anyone that is "serious" about upconverting would use a
> 'scaler' in the their home theatre system.

All upconversion is "scaling"...duh. But, it's best not to do it after
you lose access to the MPEG-2 data. Good external scalers do a fine
job and can be applied to all outputs, but cost a *lot* of money to do
it very well. It's much cheaper and better to do it inside the player,
and that's what serious people do...they just don't use CE players.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/AntiqueOS.gif

Allan

On Mon, 01 May 2006 13:50:15 GMT, Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> So why another machine that 'may' have these improvements that 'could'
>> be available in a few months matters to this discussion is lost on me.

>What improvements? There was nothing specific in any of those reviews
>other than "it looks good", which is expected. There were no comparisons
>against the very best upconversion systems.

And where are those 'easy to find' reviews saying that it does a worse
job?

>> >Wow, get out my checkbook.

>> Well if you want a HD DVD player that does a fine job at unconverting
>> you just might.

>"Looked a little better" equals "fine job" to you?

No one said it looked "a little better"... in fact:

"I have been playing with my HD-A1 for a while now. The upconverting
is phenomenal, some of the best I've ever seen."

>This is why I don't
>think you can read very well.

You seem to skip over a few things yourself.

No **** sherlock.

>But, it's best not to do it after
>you lose access to the MPEG-2 data. Good external scalers do a fine
>job and can be applied to all outputs, but cost a *lot* of money to do
>it very well. It's much cheaper and better to do it inside the player,
>and that's what serious people do...they just don't use CE players.

Not all Scalers are created equal, and "serious" folks don't mind
spending the $$$.... for me, just don't have the system to justify it.

From your favorite forum:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/archi.../t-231085.html

"Better off investing in a scaler/deinterlacer than getting an
upconverting dvd player"

Nuff said.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Jeff Rife

Allan (Spamsuckhard@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb. org) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> >> Well if you want a HD DVD player that does a fine job at unconverting
> >> you just might.

> >"Looked a little better" equals "fine job" to you?

> No one said it looked "a little better"

OK, so now you can't even read what *you* posted:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.v...4d9aa33998fec8

--
Jeff Rife | "I feel an intense ambivalence, some of which
| doesn't border entirely on the negative."
|
| -- Ned Dorsey, "Ned and Stacey"

Allan

On Mon, 01 May 2006 21:20:19 GMT, Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >"Looked a little better" equals "fine job" to you?

>> No one said it looked "a little better"

>OK, so now you can't even read what *you* posted:

Congrats..... ya got me!

Still waiting:

"I'm sure anybody that wanted to could find reviews that go the other
way,"

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Jeff Rife

Allan (Spamsuckhard@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb. org) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> Still waiting:
>
> "I'm sure anybody that wanted to could find reviews that go the other
> way,"

Still missed the fact that every review doesn't like the upconversion
over component of the HD-A1?

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverThe...Internet01.gif

Allan

On Tue, 02 May 2006 15:20:16 GMT, Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Still missed the fact that every review doesn't like the upconversion
>over component of the HD-A1?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=128

"I configured the player to output 480p via HDMI and component video.
De-interlacing performance was identical with both outputs. "

"It retains the full video signal using the component video outputs.
Both outputs are essentially identical in any other respect though."

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Jeff Rife

Allan (Spamsuckhard@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb. org) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> >Still missed the fact that every review doesn't like the upconversion
> >over component of the HD-A1?

> http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=128
>
> "I configured the player to output 480p via HDMI and component video.
> De-interlacing performance was identical with both outputs. "

480p isn't upconversion. Wake me when the HD-A1 can output DVDs at
720p or 1080i over component. Until then, please keep your silly noise
to yourself.

--
Jeff Rife |