Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Opinions wanted

Opinions wanted

Alex Grossberg

I plan to drop BB Online a day before next billing date and sign-up with a
neighborhood BB store (10 minute round trip) for a Movie Pass program: 2
flicks at a time @ $26/month.
I'm a movie freak. I figure on seeing 8-10 flicks a week this way vs. 3-6
flicks via Online.
Any comments, suggestions, etc?

Bill's News

Alex Grossberg wrote:
> I plan to drop BB Online a day before next billing date and sign-up
> with a neighborhood BB store (10 minute round trip) for a Movie
> Pass
> program: 2 flicks at a time @ $26/month.
> I'm a movie freak. I figure on seeing 8-10 flicks a week this way
> vs.
> 3-6 flicks via Online.
> Any comments, suggestions, etc?

For what it's worth, I consider myself a movie freak too. As a years+
Netflix customer I've not experienced the "throttling" often
mentioned, but never-the-less I've also run out of films of interest
which will fulfill the subscription, so I'm canceling until the new
Hollywood season begins in October and the very few other recent, but
as yet unreleased, films of interest have had time to arrive in their
collection.

Of the older films, there is scant fare I've not seen and in which I
have an interest. That list is down to 4 or 5 dozen and in reality
most flicks are on that list merely to get something from Netfix (pun
intended).

With a full boat of cable TV channels and an aggressive local
librarian, in her acquiring of recent and older DVDs, I reckon I can
make it thru the summer and get a tan while I'm at it

Stan Brown

Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:30:44 GMT from Alex Grossberg <agrossberg1
@sc.rr.com>:
> I plan to ... sign-up with a neighborhood BB store ... for a Movie
> Pass program: 2 flicks at a time @ $26/month. I'm a movie freak. I
> figure on seeing 8-10 flicks a week this way.
> Any comments, suggestions, etc?

Have you checked out the store's inventory to see if it actually has
sufficient product to justify the expense, however modest?

I had one of BB's plans a few years ago: a free old title rental with
every "new release". (Anything newer than about two years ago seemed
to qualify as a new release.) Within a very few months I had rented
literally _every_ old release in the store that held any interest for
me.

And with BB's "no late fees" policy I'd think you're even less likely
to find what you want, unless your tastes are very, very mainstream
or unless you'll watch just about anything.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Stan Brown

Sat, 15 Apr 2006 18:23:32 -0700 from Bill's News
<(E-Mail Removed)>:
> With a full boat of cable TV channels and an aggressive local
> librarian, in her acquiring of recent and older DVDs, I reckon I can
> make it thru the summer and get a tan while I'm at it

You're really fortunate in your library. The largest library in the
region, Tompkins County (Ithaca), stopped buying DVDs a year or so
ago owing to budgetary constraints. My local library (Southworth, in
Dryden) has a couple dozen DVDs.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Black Locust

In article <Ueg0g.3805$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Alex Grossberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I plan to drop BB Online a day before next billing date and sign-up with a
> neighborhood BB store (10 minute round trip) for a Movie Pass program: 2
> flicks at a time @ $26/month.
> I'm a movie freak. I figure on seeing 8-10 flicks a week this way vs. 3-6
> flicks via Online.
> Any comments, suggestions, etc?

I'm not one to usually bolster the virtues of online renting, but I
think you're going to regret this decision. Blockbuster's in-store Movie
Pass program is a whopping $27.99 a month for just 2 DVDs out at a time.
After taxes are applied, it's about 30 bucks... Do you realize you could
get 5 out at a time(and the free in-store rental every week) for roughly
the same amount money via Blockbuster Online? And while it's true that
Blockbuster stores do carry some titles not available through BB Online
or Netflix, it typically amounts to all of 15-20 movies. Not really
enough to warrant the change, especially since you can just use your
in-store rental coupons to get those movies free anyway. Beyond that, I
don't think the small inventory in the store is going to meet your
demands at a rate of 8 to 10 movies a week. Have you seen the TV series
section in a video store lately? It makes up all of about 2% of the
total TV shows currently available on DVD! Seriously. They simply don't
have the shelf space necessary to carry all the TV shows BB Online and
Netflix do. Not to mention the shelves in Blockbuster stores are
frequently stripped bare these days because of the no late fees policy.
It's your call, but I think you'll find that after only 2 or 3 months of
renting at a rate of 8 to 10 movies a week, you will have seen just
about everything in the store that's of interest to you and you'll come
to realization that it simply isn't worth $30 a month anymore. Also,
you're going to end up spending an extra $20 on gas every week making
all those trips back and forth to the store! If I were you, I'd simply
upgrade to the 5 out at a time plan with Blockbuster Online.

For the record, I do still rent in-store, but I only average 1 or 2
movies a week, if that. If I were renting 8 to 10 a week, it'd be a
whole different story..