Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Home vhs quality much better than DVD

Home vhs quality much better than DVD

Hugh Doherty

I just recently bought a Liteon LVW5005 dvd recorder-player to transfer
my very large home VHS collection to dvd directly from a VHS player. I
am shocked to discover that except at one-hour quality, DVD picture
quality (+R)is much poorer than comparable VHS quality. Highest VHS
quality of 2 hours is better than DVD 2-hour quality. Four-hour DVD
quality is very poor, and six-hour DVD quality (despite hype) is
unwatchable, whereas six-hour VHS quality is quite acceptable, and the
majority of my VHS home recordings are at six-hour quality. So home
recording on a DVD recorder at anything more than one or two-hour quality
seems hopeless, which makes the medium useless for many movies,
documentaries, operas, etc. which are longer than two hours. Do I need
better equipment, or is all the hype of lo these many years about DVD
quality just so much baloney,except when applied to store-bought and
rented commercial DVDs?

Oldus Fartus

Hugh Doherty wrote:
> I just recently bought a Liteon LVW5005 dvd recorder-player to transfer
> my very large home VHS collection to dvd directly from a VHS player. I
> am shocked to discover that except at one-hour quality, DVD picture
> quality (+R)is much poorer than comparable VHS quality. Highest VHS
> quality of 2 hours is better than DVD 2-hour quality. Four-hour DVD
> quality is very poor, and six-hour DVD quality (despite hype) is
> unwatchable, whereas six-hour VHS quality is quite acceptable, and the
> majority of my VHS home recordings are at six-hour quality. So home
> recording on a DVD recorder at anything more than one or two-hour quality
> seems hopeless, which makes the medium useless for many movies,
> documentaries, operas, etc. which are longer than two hours. Do I need
> better equipment, or is all the hype of lo these many years about DVD
> quality just so much baloney,except when applied to store-bought and
> rented commercial DVDs?

I have the same recorder, and find the 2 hour setting to be fine,
recording from either the inbuilt tuner, a digital STB connected via the
s-video connector, or other devices connected via the firewire or AV
connectors. There is no doubt the one hour setting is the best, but
even at the 2 hour setting I find the quality to be better than that
recorded from the same source onto VHS.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Darrel Christenson

> Do I need better equipment

I record from vhs to a dvd-r console recorder in 2
and 4 hour modes and in most cases the picture is
better as the recorder fixes grain, noise, tracking
and vertical sync issues automatically.

Darrel

unclejr

Darrel Christenson wrote:
> I record from vhs to a dvd-r console recorder in 2
> and 4 hour modes and in most cases the picture is
> better as the recorder fixes grain, noise, tracking
> and vertical sync issues automatically.

I'm guessing that you are recording with a much better unit than a
Liteon. Panasonic, perhaps?

-Junior

Darrel Christenson

> I'm guessing that you are recording with a much better unit than a
> Liteon. Panasonic, perhaps?

Yep, Panny E50.

drc

Bill

Interesting.
<hdoherty@NO SPAMns.sympatico.ca (Hugh Doherty)> wrote in message
news:l7O%f.59772$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just recently bought a Liteon LVW5005 dvd recorder-player to transfer
> my very large home VHS collection to dvd directly from a VHS player. I
> am shocked to discover that except at one-hour quality, DVD picture
> quality (+R)is much poorer than comparable VHS quality. Highest VHS
> quality of 2 hours is better than DVD 2-hour quality. Four-hour DVD
> quality is very poor, and six-hour DVD quality (despite hype) is
> unwatchable, whereas six-hour VHS quality is quite acceptable, and the
> majority of my VHS home recordings are at six-hour quality. So home
> recording on a DVD recorder at anything more than one or two-hour quality
> seems hopeless, which makes the medium useless for many movies,
> documentaries, operas, etc. which are longer than two hours. Do I need
> better equipment, or is all the hype of lo these many years about DVD
> quality just so much baloney,except when applied to store-bought and
> rented commercial DVDs?

Charlie Hoffpauir

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:38:35 GMT, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Interesting.
><hdoherty@NO SPAMns.sympatico.ca (Hugh Doherty)> wrote in message
>news:l7O%f.59772$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I just recently bought a Liteon LVW5005 dvd recorder-player to transfer
>> my very large home VHS collection to dvd directly from a VHS player. I
>> am shocked to discover that except at one-hour quality, DVD picture
>> quality (+R)is much poorer than comparable VHS quality. Highest VHS
>> quality of 2 hours is better than DVD 2-hour quality. Four-hour DVD
>> quality is very poor, and six-hour DVD quality (despite hype) is
>> unwatchable, whereas six-hour VHS quality is quite acceptable, and the
>> majority of my VHS home recordings are at six-hour quality. So home
>> recording on a DVD recorder at anything more than one or two-hour quality
>> seems hopeless, which makes the medium useless for many movies,
>> documentaries, operas, etc. which are longer than two hours. Do I need
>> better equipment, or is all the hype of lo these many years about DVD
>> quality just so much baloney,except when applied to store-bought and
>> rented commercial DVDs?

No, trolling.
Charlie Hoffpauir
Message board: