Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "Dr. Who" 2-sided or 3?

"Dr. Who" 2-sided or 3?

Derek Janssen

Assuming there's SOMEBODY out there who bought the BBC R1 "Dr. Who: The
Beginning"--

There's been some confusion as to whether we get three story-arc
episodes or two:
The box says "3-Disk" on the front, while clearly containing two...
It's a possibility that Disk 2 might be 2-sided, but I wouldn't know,
since I rented from Netflix--
And Netflix, as we know, tends to commission rental-only one-sided
versions of double-sided titles (eg. West Wing), which left one entire
story arc missing off of the rental...

....Which *might* be one reason Netflix suddenly pulled the title off
into Unavailable on week into release--
But, since I didn't buy it, I wouldn't know--Any verification from the
core fans?

Derek Janssen (it's all clear now, isn't it?)

Bratboy

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Assuming there's SOMEBODY out there who bought the BBC R1 "Dr. Who: The
> Beginning"--
>
> There's been some confusion as to whether we get three story-arc episodes
> or two:
> The box says "3-Disk" on the front, while clearly containing two...
> It's a possibility that Disk 2 might be 2-sided, but I wouldn't know,
> since I rented from Netflix--
> And Netflix, as we know, tends to commission rental-only one-sided
> versions of double-sided titles (eg. West Wing), which left one entire
> story arc missing off of the rental...
>
> ...Which *might* be one reason Netflix suddenly pulled the title off into
> Unavailable on week into release--
> But, since I didn't buy it, I wouldn't know--Any verification from the
> core fans?
>
> Derek Janssen (it's all clear now, isn't it?)
> (E-Mail Removed)

I have the set. The 1st episode is in one case and then the 2nd case in the
set contains 2 disc's, not a flipper.

Derek Janssen

Bratboy wrote:

>>Assuming there's SOMEBODY out there who bought the BBC R1 "Dr. Who: The
>>Beginning"--
>>
>>There's been some confusion as to whether we get three story-arc episodes
>>or two:
>>The box says "3-Disk" on the front, while clearly containing two...
>>It's a possibility that Disk 2 might be 2-sided, but I wouldn't know,
>>since I rented from Netflix--
>>And Netflix, as we know, tends to commission rental-only one-sided
>>versions of double-sided titles (eg. West Wing), which left one entire
>>story arc missing off of the rental...
>>
>>...Which *might* be one reason Netflix suddenly pulled the title off into
>>Unavailable on week into release--
>>But, since I didn't buy it, I wouldn't know--Any verification from the
>>core fans?
>>
>>Derek Janssen (it's all clear now, isn't it?)

> I have the set. The 1st episode is in one case and then the 2nd case in the
> set contains 2 disc's, not a flipper.

So "An Unearthly Child" and the pilot *are* on the set, and unless we
want to buy it, we just have to wait for Netflix to clean up their mess?

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Bratboy

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bratboy wrote:
>
>>>Assuming there's SOMEBODY out there who bought the BBC R1 "Dr. Who: The
>>>Beginning"--
>>>
>>>There's been some confusion as to whether we get three story-arc episodes
>>>or two:
>>>The box says "3-Disk" on the front, while clearly containing two...
>>>It's a possibility that Disk 2 might be 2-sided, but I wouldn't know,
>>>since I rented from Netflix--
>>>And Netflix, as we know, tends to commission rental-only one-sided
>>>versions of double-sided titles (eg. West Wing), which left one entire
>>>story arc missing off of the rental...
>>>
>>>...Which *might* be one reason Netflix suddenly pulled the title off into
>>>Unavailable on week into release--
>>>But, since I didn't buy it, I wouldn't know--Any verification from the
>>>core fans?
>>>
>>>Derek Janssen (it's all clear now, isn't it?)

>> I have the set. The 1st episode is in one case and then the 2nd case in
>> the set contains 2 disc's, not a flipper.

> So "An Unearthly Child" and the pilot *are* on the set, and unless we want
> to buy it, we just have to wait for Netflix to clean up their mess?
>
> Derek Janssen
> (E-Mail Removed)

Yes the pilot is the 1st episode of Uneathly Child (a refrence to The
Doctors first companion) Then the 2nd set include the Daleks and the other
title.

selaboc

Derek Janssen wrote:
> Assuming there's SOMEBODY out there who bought the BBC R1 "Dr. Who: The
> Beginning"--
>
> There's been some confusion as to whether we get three story-arc
> episodes or two:
> The box says "3-Disk" on the front, while clearly containing two...
> It's a possibility that Disk 2 might be 2-sided, but I wouldn't know,
> since I rented from Netflix--

None of the Classic Doctor Who releases use 2 sides. They put two disks
in one case. With this set, case 1 contains 1 disk featuring the
unaired pilot and the first 4-part story "An Unearthly child". case 2
contains 2 disks. Disk 1 is the 7-part "Daleks". Disk 2 is the 2 part
"Edge of Destruction". All thress disks contians various extras with
the "Edge" disk containing most of them (since it has the shortest
story on it, it had the most room) including the half-hour abridged
reconstruction of the lost 4th story arc "Marco Polo" (the
reconstruction takes surviving audio of the story that was preserved by
fans in the 1960s hooking up tape recorders to their TV sets at time of
first broadcast along with photographic stills called "telesnaps" taken
by John Crua as a service for the BBC so that directors and actors
could have a record of thier work. basically it's a souped up slide
show with a soundtrack that gives the viewer a taste of what that lost
story was like).

All in all, an excellent set. Highly recommended.

Sean O'Hara

In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful Derek Janssen declared:
> Bratboy wrote:
>
>> I have the set. The 1st episode is in one case and then the 2nd case
>> in the set contains 2 disc's, not a flipper.

> So "An Unearthly Child" and the pilot *are* on the set, and unless we
> want to buy it, we just have to wait for Netflix to clean up their mess?

Yes, though "Pilot" is a misnomer -- they shot it with every
intention of airing it as the first episode, but a BBC executive
felt the Doctor was too crotchety and made them do it over. There
are actually two versions of the pilot included: the final, edited
version that they planned on airing, and the unedited tape of the
recording session (which is basically the same as the former, except
they do two takes of the last scene).

--
Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
Killing the creator was a traditional method of patent protection.

Steve

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:14:43 -0400, Sean O'Hara <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful Derek Janssen declared:
>> Bratboy wrote:
>>
>>> I have the set. The 1st episode is in one case and then the 2nd case
>>> in the set contains 2 disc's, not a flipper.

>> So "An Unearthly Child" and the pilot *are* on the set, and unless we
>> want to buy it, we just have to wait for Netflix to clean up their mess?
>>

>Yes, though "Pilot" is a misnomer -- they shot it with every
>intention of airing it as the first episode, but a BBC executive
>felt the Doctor was too crotchety and made them do it over. There
>are actually two versions of the pilot included: the final, edited
>version that they planned on airing, and the unedited tape of the
>recording session (which is basically the same as the former, except
>they do two takes of the last scene).

There was never an edited version of the Pilot ready for air. That
was put together by the Dr. Who Restoration Team. The Pilot footage
was rejected by the Canadian director of programming because of its
poor technical production values, camera wobbles, actors' flubs, etc.
Also Susan was TOO otherwordly and alien. The Doctor was meant to be
an anti-hero, but Hartnell himself wanted to tone down the character.

... Steve ..

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
selaboc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> All thress disks contians various extras with
> the "Edge" disk containing most of them (since it has the shortest
> story on it, it had the most room) including the half-hour abridged
> reconstruction of the lost 4th story arc "Marco Polo" (the
> reconstruction takes surviving audio of the story that was preserved by
> fans in the 1960s hooking up tape recorders to their TV sets at time of
> first broadcast along with photographic stills called "telesnaps" taken
> by John Crua as a service for the BBC so that directors and actors
> could have a record of thier work. basically it's a souped up slide
> show with a soundtrack that gives the viewer a taste of what that lost
> story was like).

The audio for all the lost Doctor Who episodes exist, and have been
released in various formats (you can get them for $13 on iTunes, for
example). I'd love to have someone re-create the episodes in B&W cell
animation using the original soundtrack

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Derek Janssen

Invid Fan wrote:

>>All thress disks contians various extras with
>>the "Edge" disk containing most of them (since it has the shortest
>>story on it, it had the most room) including the half-hour abridged
>>reconstruction of the lost 4th story arc "Marco Polo" (the
>>reconstruction takes surviving audio of the story that was preserved by
>>fans in the 1960s hooking up tape recorders to their TV sets at time of
>>first broadcast along with photographic stills called "telesnaps" taken
>>by John Crua as a service for the BBC so that directors and actors
>>could have a record of thier work. basically it's a souped up slide
>>show with a soundtrack that gives the viewer a taste of what that lost
>>story was like).

> The audio for all the lost Doctor Who episodes exist, and have been
> released in various formats (you can get them for $13 on iTunes, for
> example). I'd love to have someone re-create the episodes in B&W cell
> animation using the original soundtrack

I'd rather have them in color:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/shada/

Derek Janssen (more of a Patrick Troughton fan, m'self)
(E-Mail Removed)

Steve

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:57:43 -0400, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Invid Fan wrote:
>>
>>>All thress disks contians various extras with
>>>the "Edge" disk containing most of them (since it has the shortest
>>>story on it, it had the most room) including the half-hour abridged
>>>reconstruction of the lost 4th story arc "Marco Polo" (the
>>>reconstruction takes surviving audio of the story that was preserved by
>>>fans in the 1960s hooking up tape recorders to their TV sets at time of
>>>first broadcast along with photographic stills called "telesnaps" taken
>>>by John Crua as a service for the BBC so that directors and actors
>>>could have a record of thier work. basically it's a souped up slide
>>>show with a soundtrack that gives the viewer a taste of what that lost
>>>story was like).

>> The audio for all the lost Doctor Who episodes exist, and have been
>> released in various formats (you can get them for $13 on iTunes, for
>> example). I'd love to have someone re-create the episodes in B&W cell
>> animation using the original soundtrack

The audio exists because of fans' home recordings, as described
above. Some of the earliest ones, such as Marco Polo, were done with
a microphone sitting in the same room as the TV, and it SOUNDS just
like a miked TV set! Later recordings were done with a direct
electrical connection in many cases, or at least with a better mic
close to the TV speaker. I actually recorded some of the earliest
Doctor Who episodes myself using a mic sitting on top of the speaker
of our Ferguson set. No, I didn't save the recordings, if I had I
believe it would have been an improvement over the existing audio
quality of Marco Polo. I saw Marco Polo three times, first in Britain
then successively in Halifax, then in Sarnia, Canada. It's hard to
believe such a wonderful story is gone..

>I'd rather have them in color:
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/shada/

Who cares about Shada?! On the other hand Loose Cannon has done a
marvelous reconstruction of Marco Polo in full colour from the wealth
of on-stage stills done during that series.
http://www.recons.com/recons/lc17.htm

>Derek Janssen (more of a Patrick Troughton fan, m'self)

Oh to find more Troughton!

... Steve ..