Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blockbuster rental trick or Rude BB employee

Blockbuster rental trick or Rude BB employee

wasteofcarbon@yahoo.com

I just rented Narnia from a local Blockbuster and it had a "2-day
Rental" sticker on it. No problem, I understood that. But, after it
was rung up the cashier tells me to ignore the sticker and that the
rental was due back in 9 days. I said that was cool and left with my
dvd and receipt. When I got in the car, I read the receipt and saw
that the rental was due back in two days and that any movie not
returned in 7 days is turned into a dvd sale.

Has anyone else had this experience? I initial thought it was a rude
employee having a "bit of fun", but since started wondering if BB was
trying a new trick to get higher profits. I'm always keeping and
reading my receipts, so I wasn't tricked but would like to know if
anyone else had a similar experience and if BB's setting themselves up
for another lawsuit.

Derek Janssen

> I just rented Narnia from a local Blockbuster and it had a "2-day
> Rental" sticker on it. No problem, I understood that. But, after it
> was rung up the cashier tells me to ignore the sticker and that the
> rental was due back in 9 days. I said that was cool and left with my
> dvd and receipt. When I got in the car, I read the receipt and saw
> that the rental was due back in two days and that any movie not
> returned in 7 days is turned into a dvd sale.
>
> Has anyone else had this experience? I initial thought it was a rude
> employee having a "bit of fun", but since started wondering if BB was
> trying a new trick to get higher profits.

It's all there, in the fine print--
(And well, at least you can't say it's "No more late fees"...)

And I don't even *rent* BB, I just like to look at the ad disclaimers,
to see what latest surreptitious indignities BB piles upon itself to win
its fading glory back away from Netflix.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

TB

"Derek Janssen" wrote:

>> I just rented Narnia from a local Blockbuster and it had a "2-day
>> Rental" sticker on it. No problem, I understood that. But, after it
>> was rung up the cashier tells me to ignore the sticker and that the
>> rental was due back in 9 days. I said that was cool and left with my
>> dvd and receipt. When I got in the car, I read the receipt and saw
>> that the rental was due back in two days and that any movie not
>> returned in 7 days is turned into a dvd sale.
>>
>> Has anyone else had this experience? I initial thought it was a rude
>> employee having a "bit of fun", but since started wondering if BB was
>> trying a new trick to get higher profits.

> It's all there, in the fine print--
> (And well, at least you can't say it's "No more late fees"...)
>
> And I don't even *rent* BB, I just like to look at the ad disclaimers, to
> see what latest surreptitious indignities BB piles upon itself to win its
> fading glory back away from Netflix.

I'd guess the misinformation was more due to the ineptitude of the clueless
BB drone. It was probably AJ Soprano (who gets fired from BB in a later
Sopranos episode this season, heh!)

T.B.

Jericho

Naw, I'm certain it was deliberate. If it was ineptitude, there'd be
some leeway in the statement that I could doubt. But the statement of
"9 days" doesn't come up anywhere else and is just past the 7 day sale
clause, so I'm certain it was said on purpose. Now whether it was
individual rudeness or corporate (or local business) trickery, that's
the question at hand.

---------------------------------- TB (4-7-06 2:49)
I'd guess the misinformation was more due to the ineptitude of the
clueless
BB drone. It was probably AJ Soprano (who gets fired from BB in a later
Sopranos episode this season, heh!)

Nicholas Andrade

Jericho wrote:
> Naw, I'm certain it was deliberate. If it was ineptitude, there'd be
> some leeway in the statement that I could doubt. But the statement of
> "9 days" doesn't come up anywhere else and is just past the 7 day sale
> clause, so I'm certain it was said on purpose. Now whether it was
> individual rudeness or corporate (or local business) trickery, that's
> the question at hand.

Am I missing something? The original poster has 7 days past their
initial 2 days (for a total of 9 days like the employee said) on the
rental before being charged extra.

Jericho

Perhaps I don't understand something. If the dvd is a two-day rental,
is it due back in two days, whereby anything after the two days creates
a late fee (I'm not in any of BB's special programs)? Or is there a
grace period up to the nine days, with no late fee, but if you go past
that you've bought the dvd, whether you wanted to or not? If this is
the case, I'll accept employee ineptitude and stay alert.

BTW, I'm the original poster, but Google Groups keeps switching my name
between name and email addr - sorry for the confusion.

-----------------------Nicholas Andrade (4-12--6)
Am I missing something? The original poster has 7 days past their
initial 2 days (for a total of 9 days like the employee said) on the
rental before being charged extra.

Guy Incognito

Neither...

The employee was including the 7 day "grace period" you have AFTER its
due date.

Why the employee volunteered that information is not normal, as they
usually don't mention the grace period unless confronted with "But I
thought you don't have late fees anymore?".

Guy Incognito

Derek Janssen

Jericho wrote:

> Perhaps I don't understand something. If the dvd is a two-day rental,
> is it due back in two days, whereby anything after the two days creates
> a late fee (I'm not in any of BB's special programs)? Or is there a
> grace period up to the nine days, with no late fee, but if you go past
> that you've bought the dvd, whether you wanted to or not? If this is
> the case, I'll accept employee ineptitude and stay alert.

Probably even confused the employee--
BB's online-envy can rename their rentals anything they like, but two
days is still two days, and nine days is still a sale.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Nicholas Andrade

Jericho wrote:
> Perhaps I don't understand something. If the dvd is a two-day rental,
> is it due back in two days, whereby anything after the two days creates
> a late fee (I'm not in any of BB's special programs)? Or is there a
> grace period up to the nine days, with no late fee, but if you go past
> that you've bought the dvd, whether you wanted to or not? If this is
> the case, I'll accept employee ineptitude and stay alert.
>
> BTW, I'm the original poster, but Google Groups keeps switching my name
> between name and email addr - sorry for the confusion.

According to their web site (http://tinyurl.com/gsev3), their policy is
as follows:

<< Membership rules apply for rentals. Rentals are due back at the
date and time stated on the transaction receipt. There is no additional
rental charge if a member keeps a rental item up to 7 days beyond the
pre-paid rental period. After 7 days beyond the due date, Blockbuster
will automatically convert the rental to a purchase on the 8th day and
will charge the member the selling price for the item in effect at the
time of the rental, minus the rental fee paid. Member then has 30 days
to return the product and receive a credit for the selling price
charged, less a $1.25 restocking fee. These terms available at
participating stores only. Franchisee restocking fees may vary. See
store or blockbuster.com for complete terms and conditions. >>

So basically you have your rental period plus seven days for any movie
before you get charged for anything. In your case, you had a 2 day
rental and a 7 day grace period, so in other words you have 9 total
days. I don't rent from BB, but I interpret their policy the same way
the employee seems to, that any rental with a 2-day sticker is
essentially a 9 day rental. Now I agree it's stupid for an employee to
tell a customer that, but I don't think there was any malintent.

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And I don't even *rent* BB, I just like to look at the ad disclaimers,
> to see what latest surreptitious indignities BB piles upon itself to win
> its fading glory back away from Netflix.

Wow. What planet have you been living on for the past 6 months Derek?
The only thing fading away is Netflix with their throttling, frivolous
lawsuits and TERRIBLE customer service. They better enjoy the measily 4
million subscribers they have right now because I predict they're gonna
lose at least a million of them this year alone. Subscriber growth is
coming to an end for this sleazy company.