Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > dvd collection for sale

dvd collection for sale

adam

A good friend of mine is selling a portion of his DVD collection on
EBay. There are some really great titles here. Please check it out
when you get a chance.

thank you,

http://tinyurl.com/fwkoy

Richard C.

"adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>A good friend of mine is selling a portion of his DVD collection on
> EBay. There are some really great titles here. Please check it out
> when you get a chance.
>
> thank you,
>

> http://tinyurl.com/fwkoy

===========================
Your "friend" is asking too high a starting bid for such a lot.

adam

I don't think less than $4 per DVD is too high. He is trying to sell
it as an aggregate lot instead of piece meal to save some time, but
doesn't want to get completely stiffed on the price. I have seen other
collections sell for much higher than that.

unclejr

adam wrote:
> I have seen other collections sell for much higher than that.

But they probably started at a lower opening bid than "your friend's"
auction. A low opening bid ENTICES bidders to participate; a high
opening bid DISCOURAGES bidders to participate. If the lot gets sold
at all, I would be willing to bet that it will have only one bidder.

-Junior

adam

I don't know why the use of "" is in order with every comment? if you
want "my" EBay username email me and I will send it to you. If it were
my sale I wouldn't have a problem saying so.

I thought this would be a excellent group to advertise this sale to.

Although I disagree that the starting bid is too high for an entire
collection, I thank you for looking anyway.

unclejr

adam wrote:
> I don't know why the use of "" is in order with every comment? if you
> want "my" EBay username email me and I will send it to you. If it were
> my sale I wouldn't have a problem saying so.

It's because often when someone calls into a radio psychologist/talk
show and says that his/her "friend" has a problem, 99.9% of the time it
is the caller who has the actual problem!

> I thought this would be a excellent group to advertise this sale to.

Your alt.video.dvd advertisement may violate eBay's policy:

<http://pages.ebay.com/help/usenet_policy.html>

> Although I disagree that the starting bid is too high for an entire
> collection, I thank you for looking anyway.

The problem with lots, is that often most potential bidders will
already have a small (or a large) number of the titles listed in the
auction. Therefore, a certain percentage of the auction is for titles
that are unwanted. That bidder then has to weigh the want for those
titles that he/she is interested in vs. the headach with having to
sell/find homes for those that he/she doesn't want.

-Junior

Jay G.

On 13 Apr 2006 08:16:36 -0700, adam wrote:

> I don't think less than $4 per DVD is too high. He is trying to sell
> it as an aggregate lot instead of piece meal to save some time, but
> doesn't want to get completely stiffed on the price. I have seen other
> collections sell for much higher than that.

There's an option on ebay called a reserve price. You can set it so that
the bids won't be valid winning bids until the reserve price is met. In
this way you can set the initial bid price to something low enough to
attract bidders without the fear of losing your shirt.

-Jay

adam

Junior,

Rest Assured that I am not the owner of this auction. While I
appreciate the link to eBay's user policy, I doubt that posting 1
auction in 1 relevant group constitutes UseNet Abuse. If it does,
please accept my apologies.

Richard C.

"unclejr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> adam wrote:
>> I don't know why the use of "" is in order with every comment? if you
>> want "my" EBay username email me and I will send it to you. If it were
>> my sale I wouldn't have a problem saying so.

> It's because often when someone calls into a radio psychologist/talk
> show and says that his/her "friend" has a problem, 99.9% of the time it
> is the caller who has the actual problem!
>
>> I thought this would be a excellent group to advertise this sale to.

> Your alt.video.dvd advertisement may violate eBay's policy:
>
> <http://pages.ebay.com/help/usenet_policy.html>
>
>> Although I disagree that the starting bid is too high for an entire
>> collection, I thank you for looking anyway.

> The problem with lots, is that often most potential bidders will
> already have a small (or a large) number of the titles listed in the
> auction. Therefore, a certain percentage of the auction is for titles
> that are unwanted. That bidder then has to weigh the want for those
> titles that he/she is interested in vs. the headach with having to
> sell/find homes for those that he/she doesn't want.
>
> -Junior

I doubt it will even get an openning bid.

unclejr

Richard C. wrote:
> I doubt it will even get an openning bid.

....and you would be (apparently) wrong -- dare I say, not for the first
time, either:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9123740813>

Unless, of course, it's a shill bid.

-Junior