Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > finalize dvd for new player?

finalize dvd for new player?

Ratedr

my friend had a dvd recorder that broke. they discontinued the model,
so he had to get a new one different brand, etc. Now he has a bunch of
discs that have not been finalized (rs I think not rws), and they will
not play in this new player as they did in the old one. Is there
ANYTHING that can be done to make these playable (by either finalizing
them elsewhere, copying files, etc)?

maiet

yeah happens to me all the time, i find nero does the job, using the disc
image setting.

"Ratedr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> my friend had a dvd recorder that broke. they discontinued the model,
> so he had to get a new one different brand, etc. Now he has a bunch of
> discs that have not been finalized (rs I think not rws), and they will
> not play in this new player as they did in the old one. Is there
> ANYTHING that can be done to make these playable (by either finalizing
> them elsewhere, copying files, etc)?

Ratedr

how does that work? do you mean when he originally makes the dvd or
now to close it? and how do I do that?

maiet

nero will copy a unfinalized disc, not make the original disc finalized.

"Ratedr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> how does that work? do you mean when he originally makes the dvd or
> now to close it? and how do I do that?

Ratedr

so does this mean I put the disc in...select copy dvd, and it will find
the files on the original and copy them? or is there a method that I
need to select like RAW or something?

maiet

you have to select disc image, nero 6 has it.

"Ratedr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> so does this mean I put the disc in...select copy dvd, and it will find
> the files on the original and copy them? or is there a method that I
> need to select like RAW or something?

icetemp

nero 7 will do a better job. still will not finalize the disk, but it's
a lot quicker than 6.

Ratedr

the point is Im looking to finalize these discs to play in a different
player

Lars-Erik ěsterud

Ratedr:

> the point is Im looking to finalize these discs to play in a different

Copy them from the DVD to a PC harddisk, then burn with DVD-burner on
PC. Then you can get rid of extra folders as well, you can edit the
IFO files (to correct aspect ratio and stuff). I always do this
(record to DVD+RW, copy to PC, remove burner folders, write to DVD+R
with booktype DVD-ROM). Then you will get higher compability too.
--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605

Hebee Jeebes

With out the player that made them you have to copy them to the hard drive
and reburn them, making sure they are finalized. It is a lot of work, but
your only way.