Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Whitest DVD-R Printable DVD

Whitest DVD-R Printable DVD

Noxqq4u

I am looking to buy printable DVD's. I was wondering if anyone had a
suggestion on what brand has the whitest printing surface.

Thanks.

TB

"Noxqq4u" wrote:

>I am looking to buy printable DVD's. I was wondering if anyone had a
>suggestion on what brand has the whitest printing surface.

Taiyo Yuden is probably the best, most reliable dvd-r white printable discs
out there. Other companies like Maxell, Fuji and Ritek have similar white
surface printable dvd-/+ discs as well. The one you'll find in places like
CompUSA and other stores is probably Memorex and I'd strongly advise you to
avoid that brand as myself as well as many others have found that brand has
an unacceptably high rate of junk discs (up to 50%+) that fail to write and
read properly.

T.B.

Art

"TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cEV_f.495$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Noxqq4u" wrote:
>
>>I am looking to buy printable DVD's. I was wondering if anyone had a
>>suggestion on what brand has the whitest printing surface.

> Taiyo Yuden is probably the best, most reliable dvd-r white printable
> discs out there. Other companies like Maxell, Fuji and Ritek have similar
> white surface printable dvd-/+ discs as well. The one you'll find in
> places like CompUSA and other stores is probably Memorex and I'd strongly
> advise you to avoid that brand as myself as well as many others have found
> that brand has an unacceptably high rate of junk discs (up to 50%+) that
> fail to write and read properly.
>
> T.B.

I can affirm this opinion with my recent experience with Memorex, but I had
more like an 80% fail rate (using 3 different) burners. Fortunately the
kind souls here steered me to Ritek and TY. Haven't had a coaster since .

Art

Tonester

Ritek for sure. Avoid Taiyo Yuden if the printable surface is your main
concern, TY's surface sucks. It's off white and rough, giving the printing a
'matte' finish.

"Noxqq4u" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vhU_f.8$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking to buy printable DVD's. I was wondering if anyone had a
>suggestion on what brand has the whitest printing surface.
>
> Thanks.

Steve

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:28:09 GMT, "Tonester" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ritek for sure. Avoid Taiyo Yuden if the printable surface is your main
>concern, TY's surface sucks. It's off white and rough, giving the printing a
>'matte' finish.

I'm more worried about whether the DVD is going to last than if it's
"pretty" or not, that's why I'd pick Taiyo-Yuden over the
unpredictable Ritek anytime.

.. Steve ..

>"Noxqq4u" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:vhU_f.8$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am looking to buy printable DVD's. I was wondering if anyone had a
>>suggestion on what brand has the whitest printing surface.
>>
>> Thanks.

Allan

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:24:20 -0400, Steve
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm more worried about whether the DVD is going to last than if it's
>"pretty" or not, that's why I'd pick Taiyo-Yuden over the
>unpredictable Ritek anytime.

Check the subject line:

"Subject: Whitest DVD-R Printable DVD"

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Tonester

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:28:09 GMT, "Tonester" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Ritek for sure. Avoid Taiyo Yuden if the printable surface is your main
>>concern, TY's surface sucks. It's off white and rough, giving the printing
>>'matte' finish.

> I'm more worried about whether the DVD is going to last than if it's
> "pretty" or not, that's why I'd pick Taiyo-Yuden over the
> unpredictable Ritek anytime.

I'd choose Ritek for that too. I've seen no difference in TY and Ritek after
6 years of using both.

unclejr

Tonester wrote:
> I'd choose Ritek for that too. I've seen no difference in TY and Ritek after
> 6 years of using both.

I agree that I see no difference in performance between the two media.
However, on a purely aesthetic level, the Ritek/RiData purple dye
*LOOKS* way cooler than the rather drab-looking blue dye of Taiyo Yuden
discs. YMMV, naturally.

-Junior