Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD media damage to DVD burner

DVD media damage to DVD burner

southwind89mh@yahoo.com

I have a GO VIDEO DVD/VCR +/- R/RW model VR5940. I have recorded 165
DVD mostly 8X and a few 16X when the drive quit. No information that
came with the unit mentioned any speed media restrictions but when I
contacted Go Video they said they recommend using only 4X or less and
if I recorded a few 8X or 16X DVD's it woulf LIKELY damage the DVD
drive permanently. I didn't know it mattered which speed blank media
was used. Nothing that came with it mentioned anything about the media
to be used. Any information about if/why the media would damage the
drive (or not) is appreciated.

Kimba W. Lion

>if I recorded a few 8X or 16X DVD's it woulf LIKELY damage the DVD
>drive permanently. I didn't know it mattered which speed blank media
>was used. Nothing that came with it mentioned anything about the media
>to be used. Any information about if/why the media would damage the
>drive (or not) is appreciated.

The way I heard it, the problem was that some low-speed drives would not
properly recognize high-speed media and become unresponsive while leaving
their motors running, and if left in that state the motors could burn out.

If you made successful burns with that media, I don't see how it could
damage the drive.